Make Barlines more prominent

Make Bar lines more prominent in the piano roll. It prevents getting lost editing notes.

Currently in piano roll, beat lines and bar lines are barely distinguishable. Making bar lines thicker or darker would improve visibility and productivity.

Before:

After:

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Currently it is difficult to figure out which note belong to which bar in the piano roll.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Enhance usability by improving visibility.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by an STV or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Basically in all other DAWs it is easy to distinguish between different types of grid lines. (step, beat, bar…).

Relevant links (optional)

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Make Barlines more prominent

I would like to extend this request for two things:

• Changing not only the gridlines thickness, but the background
  • And do it also in the sequencer view

I had never issues to orient myself using the piano roll in FL Studio (and the grid is customizable), but I regularly get lost in Bitwig:

And I never had issues on the sequencer because I got changing backgrounds in FL Studio every 4 bars. When I look at the sequencer in Bitwig I like that I get thicker lines depending on the zoom, but they are barely noticable for me. This is how FL Studio looks (and I think in FL its customizable):

3 Likes

I strongly suggest that the title of this Feature request also becomes its content.
Meaning: that the wish for “Make Barlines more prominent” is not restricted to a specific area in bitwig, like the piano roll. Because each and every barline - everywhere, including the Clip-Launcher-View! - should be more prominent (or at least customizable to which extent it’s more prominent).

Concerning the Clip-Launcher-View i would add that a slight transparent coloring of the playing Clip, moving together with the playhead would greatly improve visibility of the play-status.

I also agree that the gridlines play an important role of play-head-orientation.
This is why i see this whole feature request as part of a “make the UI deeply customizable” request :slight_smile: , but since the play-head visibility is the first thing to disturb many people, i really think it deserves this extra feature request here on its own.

1 Like

@nowiamone Welcome to Bitwish. This request has obtained 40 votes as is, and making significant changes to it feels a bit like… cheating? :slight_smile: I agree the title and the description are not consistent.

I wonder, would Settings to adjust gridline thickness cover your request?

2 Likes

This is definitely something I would like to see, as Im using a 32" 4k screen on a monitor arm for ergonomics, and sometimes the grid lines are hard to read when I am a foot or 2 away from the screen. This makes my eyes strain a bit and I would appreciate the higher contrast. Thanks!

It seems to be implemented in the 5.1 beta version

1 Like

Yes, now there is a setting for the grid lines contrast and users can choose their preferred level between 0 and 100. Let’s mark this feature request as implemented!

Right now this is the 15th most voted feature, and 53 votes will be liberated. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.