Make Barlines more prominent

Make Bar lines more prominent in the piano roll. It prevents getting lost editing notes.

Currently in piano roll, beat lines and bar lines are barely distinguishable. Making bar lines thicker or darker would improve visibility and productivity.

Before:

After:

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Currently it is difficult to figure out which note belong to which bar in the piano roll.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Enhance usability by improving visibility.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by an STV or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Basically in all other DAWs it is easy to distinguish between different types of grid lines. (step, beat, bar…).

Relevant links (optional)

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Make Barlines more prominent

I would like to extend this request for two things:

• Changing not only the gridlines thickness, but the background
  • And do it also in the sequencer view

I had never issues to orient myself using the piano roll in FL Studio (and the grid is customizable), but I regularly get lost in Bitwig:

And I never had issues on the sequencer because I got changing backgrounds in FL Studio every 4 bars. When I look at the sequencer in Bitwig I like that I get thicker lines depending on the zoom, but they are barely noticable for me. This is how FL Studio looks (and I think in FL its customizable):

2 Likes