“Output to new chain” module in the Grid

Multiple outputs would be a great addition to The Grid. I imagine something like a “Grid chain out” device, that would be an output module that just creates a new chain in the FX section of your grid patch, so you could process it separately, or route it to other tracks.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

This would allow many new ways of using the Grid by removing the limitation of having only 1 audio output.

1. if you have something like a drum machine, you can route each channel to an individual track, like you would do with drum rack.
  2. You could process individual parts of your patch with different plugins
  3. Having different sequencer or modulation cv signals routed to individual chains would allow those to sequence and control many tracks within a Bitwig session by routing the signals in from those chains. So you could have sessions that are controlled from one patch, like how people use Eurorack sequencers with multiple outs.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It would expand greatly on the Grid, and fits in with Bitwig’s flexible modulation, routing and overall modular feel. People will be able to have grid patches control entire sessions in a similar way to using Modular synthesizers.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

There is a workaround, where you send audio to modulators, and modulate dc offset modules with those modulators. But, it is an inconvenient way of doing this.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by an STV or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Multiple output routing is common. Bitwig already has it in the Drum Rack. Other popular plugins with multiple outputs are: Maschine, Virus, Kontakt, Reaktor and VCV rack.

Relevant links (optional)

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] “Output to new chain” module in the Grid

I also want this, although I think that making the grid multi-output would add more flexibility.

BUT I wanted to mention that, if I’m understanding this correctly, there is a work-around of sort for this you might be interested in. It’s based on using DC outputs and works quite well.

Here’s a video about it: Bitwig Grid 101: Integrating External VST FX - YouTube

Apart from that, I think an option to have a MIDI IN/NOTE RECEIVER kind of modules in the grid would be great to pair with something like this. If the idea is to be able to do as much things in one multi-output instance of the grid, I believe an option to send different midi datas to different elements inside the same instance of the grid would be great.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that video. Modulating dc-offsets looks like a good workaround. I’m going to experiment with it tomorrow.

As for having an “output to new chain” module vs making The Grid muti-output, I think it would basically be the same thing, because the chains can be routed wherever you want. So, having an “output to new chain” module would effectively make the Grid multi-output.

I totally agree agree with you about having a midi in/ note receiver module in the Grid too. I’m not sure if anybody has made that feature request yet. It should definitely be one.

I created a draft here if you’re interested

1 Like

I also need this:
I want to route my signals to other tracks and FX tracks (which I also use as outputs).
Sending to bitwig out ports is already possible with HW out module, but there is no control and no meter on it.
This could also be Audio Sender like the inverted existing Audio Receiver device.