Audio Random Access (ARA2) support

Support for Audio Random Access v2, which is an extension for audio plug-ins allowing them to exchange a greater amount of audio information. This is necessary for the integrated use of many audio tools like Melodyne, Spectralayers, and Synchro Arts’ Vocalign and and Revoice Pro.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Communication of DAW state to the plugin; including offline audio transfer, undo/redo, instant update when you move/cut/edit some audio.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Implementation in Bitwig would follow what today is an open specification impleemnted by many DAWs. ARA2 compatible plugins have their own UI and their functionality/processing is written back to the track in real time.

Celemony released the ARA SDK under an open source license on May 2021. This allows companies like Bitwig to implement the support to the ARA specification 2.0 without licensing costs.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio 1, Acid Pro, Reaper, Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools (2022.9).

Relevant links (optional)

9 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Audio Random Access (ARA2) support

You might want to add Acoustica | Digital Audio Editor to the list.

Acoustica 7 is the perfect solution for audio editing, podcast creation, mastering and audio restoration

This needs to happen. It’s not a smooth workflow needing to re transfer audio to melodyne if you need to make an edit in the arrangement or you want to mute a clip etc.

1 Like

Pretty sure this was the highest voted thing on the old bitwig forum before they shut it down. At least top 3. It was in the thousands if my memory serves me.

What I do know is of the creative / pattern clip based daws FL studio said they are actively working with Celemony. Which means there is a high chance Ableton and maybe bitwig have also behind the scenes. Once one of the creative pattern / clip launching daws releases this the flood gates will open. Cubase has it which is cool but cubase functions sort of not like a clip / pattern daw. It’s in a different league and the pattern daws don’t care about that because their audience / demographic is electronic music makers mostly. Once electronic music makers taste this some will jump ships to the daw that does it.

That’s my speculative prediction.

2 Likes