[Draft discussion] Audio Random Access (ARA2) support

Hi @han, thank you for submitting this request.

Can you describe how you see this complete integration? The template should help you put this feature request in good shape. I added some links.

Also, note that it is ok, and you are even expected, to vote your own requests. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had added a video showing how to use Melodyne in Bitwig. @han is this good enough or are you missing anything? Please explain.

I guess a better way of putting this would be for ARA(Audio Random Access) support? That way it will work with any ARA plugin as the list seems to be growing.

2 Likes

I agree with @pjelli. The protocol integration is more accurate.

1 Like

@han do you want to complete the description?

I have changed the title. Who wants to write the description?

I would LOVE to see ARA 2 support in Bitwig. This will allow Melodyne more integrated along with many other plugins such as Vocalign Project 5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is ARA support for Bitwig a feature that only the Bitwig team can implement, or could a third party achieve it through a plugin and/or the API? This is a purely technical question, leaving business aside.

It has to be done by Bitwig, as it needs to send complete audio tracks to the plugin. Probably not too easy to implement, but how to do it is well documented as far as I know…

1 Like

To make working with tools like Melodyne and Spectralayers actually enjoyable within Bitwig, ARA2 support is necessary.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Communication of DAW state to the plugin; including offline audio transfer, undo/redo, instant update when you move/cut/edit some audio.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

The same way it fits in any other DAW that supports ARA2.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Doing it manually, which takes ages and is very tedious.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

ARA2 is all about plugin integration with Bitwig.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

All other major DAWs except Ableton and FL Studio.

Relevant links (optional)

ARA Audio Random Access: Tech Talk (German version) - YouTube (German)

1 Like

Hi @basdp , welcome!

There is already Audio Random Access (ARA2) support. Please contribute to the description and the discussion there. I will merge the topics.

@basdp I have copied your description above and I have reassigned this request to you. The description needs some work, can you help?

Different products have different goals, so we need to find a better answer. :slight_smile:

Looking at Overview | Bitwig, why should Bitwig invest in ARA2 support?

Does this answer mean that no, ARA2 support cannot be provided through a plugin?

Can you name some of the DAWs, please?

@here Right now this is the draft with most votes (5). Several people have participated in this discussion. With a bit of participation from everyone, we can pull this off. :slight_smile:

ARA2 is a standard, in the same way VST is a standard. Implementation in Bitwig would be to follow the standard. ARA2 compatible plugins have their own UI and their functionality/processing is written back to the track in real time.
ARA2 support cannot be provided by a plugin. It is a new standard that offers functionality not found in VST.
DAWs that support ARA2 include Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio 1, Acid Pro, Reaper, Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo,

2 Likes

7 votes! Ok, let’s try to get this description moving forward. Starting with the first sentence. If you don’t feel like drafting the description, at least please help with comments here. I won’t say again that I have no clue about this feature, so there is only so much I can do without help. :sweat_smile:

Is this the only reason to support ARA2? Be able to run a couple of VSTs? Are there other uses that Bitwig could have internally with native devices, just like MPE support is all over the place?

I don’t feel the current first sentance does the submission justice. The reason *currently to impement ARA2 is to support a ‘couple’ of audio tools (let’s not call them VSTs) This is a reasonably new standard that is in its second iteration. The further it is supported the more potential there is for other audio tools to be developed on the standard. It is a standard that was developed for manipulating a track (or clip) of audio and allowing it to be written back to the track non linearly (the random access part). It opens the path for native devices or the development of native devices that could manipulate audio in pitch, tuning and time domains and other ways not yet seen. I’ll paste my suggestions for the entry in my next post.

1 Like

ARA2 support is necessary for the integrated use of many audio tools currently available on the market and new ones as they become available. Current tools include Melodyne, Spectralayers Vocalign and Revoice Pro.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Communication of DAW state to the plugin; including offline audio transfer, undo/redo, instant update when you move/cut/edit audio.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Implementation in Bitwig would be to follow the standard. ARA2 compatible plugins have their own UI and their functionality/processing is written back to the track in real time.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

It is a new standard that offers functionality not found in Bitwig.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

ARA2 is a standard, in the same way VST is a standard, support cannot be provided by a plugin. It offers functionality not found in VST.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Other DAWs that support ARA2 include Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio 1, Acid Pro, Reaper, Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo.

Relevent links from the OP

I hope this post help get this request closer to completion.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Yes, your contribution helps. If you want to edit the description directly, now you can. I think we’re almost there.

1 Like

@here I have copy-edited the description, and I hope everything still stands true. :slight_smile:

I have added this bit:

Celemony released the ARA SDK under an open source license on May 2021. This allows companies like Bitwig to implement the support to the ARA specification 2.0 without licensing costs.

Does anyone know whether the free licensing part is true? Open source business models can be very complex these days, and an open source SDK together with an open spec may not mean automatically free licensing (then again, what do I know about the music industry). The press release seemed to imply that there are no licensing costs.

Ok, I’ll move this request to #features later today. If the information about licensing is not correct it can be changed later.

1 Like