Time Stretching in the Sampler

The option to enable bitwig’s time stretching algorithms in the sampler to enable timestretching instead of just speeding samples up and slowing them down when playing them chromatically.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Bitwig’s sampler can’t time stretch samples instead of speeding them up and slowing them down. This limits the possibility of the sampler when it comes to playing chromatically with samples.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig does time stretch. Bitwig has a sampler. The sampler should be able to time stretch.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Not unless we count manipulating samples directly on the timeline. Which would defeat the point of having the sampler as an option in many cases.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Yes, soft-samplers usually have this option.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Akai MPC (where this feature is also called “warp”), and more.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Time Stretching in the Sampler

I don’t see the button to edit the feature request directly, so I’m just commenting, hopefully, someone will integrate my additions in the request :

I think we should propose, that all the different time-streching-tools of elastic audio within the clips should be accessible in the sampler.

So, seen that way, it should be possible to load clips within the sampler, and keep them editable in there with all their respective settings (bpm, stretch, on-sets, possibly even comb).

What problem(s) would this feature resolve? :

The sampler’s texture mode is quite “agressive” and not able to stretch samples in an unobstrusive way, it’s very audible, tedious to find the right speed and does not provide the quality of the different warp modes of the clips in the sequencer and clip-launcher (which use elastic-audio-algorithm).

This feature would make it possible to play samples and loops, perfectly adjusted to the current beat, live and transposed, on pads and keyboard.

It could also make Bitwig more attractive to non-electro-public, which is more into Sample-heavy Music (e.g. Hip-Hop…).

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

A lot of soft-samplers offer this option. But its very tedious to set them up and interupting the work-flow within Bigwig and making Bitwigs Sampler obsolete. Also the integration, different file handling, regarding the different time-stretch options, provided in Bitwig, usually doesn’t come close.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Also Maschine provides some time-stretch for the sampler and Ableton (as far as i can tell by screenshots) too.

3 Likes

Welcome! “Add to the Sampler what already exists in Bitwig” is the same approach we took for Chopping / slicing audio in the Sampler. I think it makes a lot of sense to highlight when a feature request is about taking advantage of existing capabilities instead of something new to be developed from scratch.

(New users don’t get wiki edit permissions to avoid potential vandalism. You will get it automatically soon, just stick around and keep doing good contributions like this one.)

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the hint, you’re right. :slight_smile: I just voted for the chopping feature as well.

I think it would be great if they could somehow provide a way to make audio-clips loadable in the sampler. That would include all capacities the clips allready have…

1 Like

I made a small edit it to specify that we should be able to use all of bitwig’s algorithms in the sampler