Priorize note edge handle over time range handle

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

When editing notes in piano roll, selecting notes enables time range. Time range is useful when duplicating notes or stretching them.

Most of the time time range handle would overlap with note edges. The problem is when adjusting note lengths with time range active, it is quite easy to accidentally grab time range handle instead of note edge. This is frustrating because note edge handle and time range handle is just few pixels away.

Simply prioritizing note edge over time range handle can easily solve this issue.

For example, assume below is piano roll and we have a selected note and time range around it.
Vertical line is time range handle and black squares are notes.

previously:

|     |  <- Grap this to adjust time range
|◼◼◼◼◼|  <- Grap this to adjust time range or note length (depending on cursor position)

suggested behaviour.

|◼◼◼◼◼|  <- Grap this to adjust note length

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Improves productivity

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by an STV or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Other daws with time range don’t have time range handle or have dedicated handle out side of note region (like in timeline headers)

Relevant links (optional)

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Priorize note edge handle over time range handle

This is extremely frustrating as there are only a few pixels between the range edge selection and the end of the note.

Of course I’d love a sophisticated priority system between the notes and the range edge, but personally I’d be happy if we could simply disable the range edge selection with a setting. It’s a feature I practically never use.

2 Likes