Piano roll: improve selection interactivity

The problem is that very often when trying to edit notes in the piano roll I accidentally click and drag the outer edge of the selection.

A solution could be to make the interactive box region to make notes longer bigger instead of being restricted like 5-10 px wide. Or maybe the notes should have a higher priority compared to the selection, in the places where a note and selection conflict. Another solution could be to simply restrict dragging of the selection in the top ruler of the piano roll instead of the notes grid.

Personally I would rather have a setting to always disable the interactivity in the selection as I will never use that. In the very rare cases where I would want to edit the selection I will simply create a new one.

What is this feature about?

It’s about improving the interactivity of the outer edge of the selection in the piano roll.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would make sure when a user wants to edit the length of a note, they would not edit the selection accidentally.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It improves editing of midi notes.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by an STV or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Not that I know of.

1 Like

Is this request the same as Priorize note edge handle over time range handle, or at least related?

1 Like

Yeah it’s exactly the same problem!

Feel free to close this thread. I will continue the discussion on the one you linked.

1 Like

Test related to How do we get our votes back?

Sorry for the noise.