Option to move editor panel to the right

Ultrawide displays are becoming more common. With their resolution, it makes sense to have an option to split panels vertically.

See the comparison:

A vertical split would be much better:

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

On ultra-wide displays, it isn’t possible to see much of the arrangement, tracks and notes.

Users might not see much value in seeing so far into the past and future on the time axis. Instead, they might want to see how the elements are arranged harmonically and rhythmically in the section they are editing. A vertical split would really help with that.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Focus on the music, not the tool.

Users have to scroll around a lot, so they have to focus on the tool between editing notes.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Dual displays via the “User Interface” settings. But obviously, it’s less practical to handle than a single window. And also, to change it back to vertical, I have to dive into the settings. I want to be able to switch between vertical and horizontal quickly via a button or something.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

JetBrains IDEs, Blender 3D.

Relevant links (optional)

@tobi0760935 This is an interesting idea. Have you shared it with the Bitwig team?

In the meantime, you could “simply” tilt your ultrawide display to portrait resolution. (just kidding) :slight_smile:

Thanks! I haven’t directly shared it with them yet, isn’t Bitwish the place for that?

No, see How to contribute to the Community Wishlist and why.

Thanks. I sent an email.

But is it still encouraged to put feature requests on Bitwish then?

Yes, of course! New requests are welcome just as votes and comments to existing Features. We just want to be sure that nobody thinks that Bitwish is an official feedback channel.