[Draft discussion] Hybrid comping

I’m not sure I understand the concept of hybrid comping.

In any case, I guess MIDI comping should be implemented first?

I guess it could mean that MIDI which has been bounced in place could be turned back into MIDI from the audio clip, should you wish to modify the part and then re-bounce. Pretty nifty idea if that’s what was intended.

This feature request has 5 votes but it is orphan. Who wants to adopt it?

It wasn’t my suggestion, but just the name of it suggested to me what it could be and that it would be cool:

We have hybrid tracks and comping so why not hybrid track comping? This would be comp lanes that contain either midi or audio (likely bounced midi) that could be comped in lanes to create a composite track containing a combination of both midi and audio. Would be pretty sweet, but only makes sense after midi comping is implemented.

@ultratot do you feel my description below summarises the desired functionality? If so we can start getting the template filled out

@bjorn what you describe sounds like a separate feature than what I was trying to describe. I’m not sure how un-bouncing from audio to midi would work, frankly, but if possible that would indeed be pretty nifty.

What I was trying to describe was more like either audio or midi could be selected from lanes and put into a single comp, which could be played back/auditioned, and eventually bounced together as a single coherent audio track. So for instance, if you had an almost good audio bounce already, but wanted to substitute out a small segment due to timing error or whatnot, you could comp in midi to be played by the instrument to get the best aspects of both.

Hopefully that makes sense. To be honest, i’m not sure how often folks would end up using this in practice, but it would be slick and seems like all the pieces would be there once midi comping is in place.

@ultratot Thanks for clearing that up. I think what I meant was that when you bounce MIDI to audio it would keep the MIDI there but hidden, so if you needed to “unbounce” you could get the MIDI notes back, amend as necessary, and then re-bounce if you want to.

If I have understood correctly, what you’re describing is different in that both audio and MIDI can be used as takes when comping a particular section, and you can choose sections from both the audio and the MIDI to use in the final take which is then all bounced down to a single piece of audio. Is that right?

Ah, now i see what you mean. By having hybrid comping, you could preserve the pre-bounce midi data at the same time and comp over to it, essentially restoring the pre-bounce data. So actually, yes, i think you would get this as a consequence.

And your summary of what i was getting at is nice and clear, so thanks for that.

Actually I think hybrid comping seems like a different function though perhaps related. Hybrid bouncing or perhaps reversible bouncing might be a better way of descibing this. I would like reversible bouncing for sure so I’ll make a separate request for this and link it to this one

I found @antic604’s definition:

I want audio comping, MIDI comping and …hybrid comping, where when you bounce-in-place MIDI the notes will be pushed down to take lane and audio will be put in the comp lane, and you would be able to comp between the 2 like always.

Source: Bitwig Studio 4.1 Beta release is imminent - Page 7 - Bitwig Forum - KVR Audio

@icaria36 thanks for the link, I added it to the template and wrote up the rest too. @ultratot how does this look to you with regard to your original request?

1 Like

Looks good. Seems to me both concise and clear.

As for the bounce undo, it seems like if that’s a separate feature, hybrid comping might be a prerequisite since I imagine the implementation to be something like: on bounce move midi to new comp lane. I guess the midi lanes request could also work instead, but either way it seems rather forward looking, not that that’s a bad thing.

Unbounce could also work by the original MIDI simply being hidden until the unbounce operation is carried out at which point the audio is replaced by its corresponding original MIDI. So I don’t think one is necessarily prerequisite for the other, though I do agree it would be sensible for their functionality to overlap. Nonetheless since they aren’t quite the same I’ll create a draft for unbouncing and link to this one (and vice versa).

Yeah, fair point. Sounds good.