Default track templates

Allow to save the devices on a track as a template for all newly created tracks of its type (Audio, Instrument, Hybrid). All the device panel data available on the track would be stored as part of the template: device chain, modulators, and currently set parameters.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

The lack of this feature forces some users to go through repetitive operations. Two simple yet notable use-cases:

1. Have a note shifter device at the beginning of every Instrument track
  2. Have a deactivated equalizer on every audio track

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig goes the extra mile when it comes to productivity. This feature would fit right in with no UX disruptions.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Not really.

Presets can be saved and loaded, including their nested device chain. This might cover part of the problem but not entirely.

Projects can be saved as templates, but this forces the creation of projects including many tracks that in the end might or might not be used for a new project. In practice, this approach is likely to cause more work, not less.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Ableton Live natively. Studio One via custom Macros.

Links (optional)

Learn Live 10: Using defaults

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Default track templates

yes please. this and “midi capture” have been the main reason I don’t use bitwig as my main DAW and I always find myself going back to ableton even though I love working in bitwig. But these types of workflow features just save me A LOT of time.

1 Like