Batch renaming and numbering samples

A function to batch rename all selected clips/samples, including a way to number them incrementally. EDIT: I found a way to batch rename clips → select all clips and rename in the inspector. This doesn’t work for the contained samples though and doesn’t help with numbering, which is pretty important imo. :slight_smile:

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

When making sample libraries out of longer recordings, I often have to manually rename and number each clip. This is incredibly tedious.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Quite well! Workflow is an important part of bitwig and so is community - good workflows to create well-ordered shareable assets are great for everyone!

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Not trivially afaik.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Plugins don’t have access to clip names, so no.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

More traditional DAWs (Logic, Reaper) tend to have comprehensive batch processing features, including renaming.

Relevant links (optional)

If you want to keep this request, could you update text accordingly, please? And the title, if you have permissions. If not, just type it somewhere and I will change it.

Can you describe how would this work for the samples included in a project? How would the user select all the samples (or where would they find the list), and select those to be renamed and numbered?

Also, just like in Rename sample file names from the Browser Panel, any concerns about this renaming of local files from the DAW potentially breaking things else where?

This “tend” sounds odd. Do these DAWs offer the possibility to rename and number local files in batches or not? :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.