Allow same key bindings with different context

Allow same key bindings for different contexts.

Currently, when editing shortcuts, same key bindings are not allowed. Bitwig automatically unassigns other shortcuts to prevent collision. However, same shortcuts could co-exist for different contexts, allowing for a more intuitive use of these shortcuts in different situations.

These improvements could be made:

• Improve internal handling of shortcut context
    • shortcut context should have clear hierarchy or priority
  • Remove auto-unassigning behaviour and instead…
    • Show collision in the shortcut editor
    • Trigger shortcuts with higher priority in case of collision.
  • Optionally allow users to see the context
    • This helps users to understand why shortcuts are colliding.
    • Also make it easy to find out if Bitwig is doing something wrong. It would be easier to check if Bitwig is triggering the right shortcut in right context.
    • Reference taken from Visual Studio Code

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would remove a limitations that forces users to define different shortcuts than the ones they accustomed to. User shortcuts would have equal treatment with Bitwig’s default shortcuts.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It would increase consistency. Bitwig’s default key binding includes many shortcuts with same key bindings. Letting users do the same is logical.

Also, after deleting one of these key bindings (Enter in this example), reassigning the same key is impossible in most cases due to this limitation.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

There is no DAW with this feature.

Relevant links (optional)

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Allow same key bindings with different context

I just got bitten by that. In every audio editor or DAW I am using, I am used to use the Return key to go back to the beginning of my piece. I changed it, and now in the browser the return key doesn’t select anymore. There is absolutely no danger as its a completely different context…
I wrote support already about that issue…

1 Like