Allow same key bindings for different contexts.
Currently, when editing shortcuts, same key bindings are not allowed. Bitwig automatically unassigns other shortcuts to prevent collision. However, same shortcuts could co-exist for different contexts, allowing for a more intuitive use of these shortcuts in different situations.
These improvements could be made:
- Improve internal handling of shortcut context
- shortcut context should have clear hierarchy or priority
- Remove auto-unassigning behaviour and instead…
- Show collision in the shortcut editor
- Trigger shortcuts with higher priority in case of collision.
- Optionally allow users to see the context
- This helps users to understand why shortcuts are colliding.
- Also make it easy to find out if Bitwig is doing something wrong. It would be easier to check if Bitwig is triggering the right shortcut in right context.
- Reference taken from Visual Studio Code
It would remove a limitations that forces users to define different shortcuts than the ones they accustomed to. User shortcuts would have equal treatment with Bitwig’s default shortcuts.
It would increase consistency. Bitwig’s default key binding includes many shortcuts with same key bindings. Letting users do the same is logical.
Also, after deleting one of these key bindings (
Enter in this example), reassigning the same key is impossible in most cases due to this limitation.
There is no DAW with this feature.