Full shortcut customizations (mouse actions, modifiers, context)

Bitwig’s shortcut customization is powerful but some things are missing.

• Some shortcuts have “context”. e.g they work only in certain panels. There is no way for users to see and change these.
  • Users cannot bind same keys for different shortcuts even though they work in completely separate context respectively.
  • Mouse actions are not customizable.
  • Modifiers are note customizable

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

In Overview | Bitwig, “Customized Workflow To Match Any Style” is the first selling point.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Not a DAW but a lot of text editors allows detailed customizations. Blender supports mouse action & modifier customization.

Relevant links (optional)

1 Like

@lokanchung When it comes to filling the template, this feature request is ready to be moved to #features. I just wonder whether it is too generic, and whether it would be better to divide it in consistent chunks that we can connect with each other. What do you think?

Also, there are other requests related to #shortcuts. As of now, they are specific to one gesture. Same thought, does it make more sense to go after specific gestures o something more generic?

In any case, feel free to mention this request in those more specific. They are completely related.

I suppose we could interpret “full” literally and take it that the intention is to request customisable shortcuts for everything, which I fear might be unrealistic. Are there particular shortcuts you feel are missing which could be requested more specifically?

1 Like

By “full” I meant fixing broken current shortcut editing and extending configuration to mouse actions and modifiers and even context. But I think your interpretation makes point too. Yeah, it’s a big feature request. But it’s not unrealistic as written in the orignal post, Blender has done it nicely and major texture editors has this feature too.

For example in Blender, you can change modifiers for mouse actions. e.g. dragging with middle mouse button rotates object by default but users can change both assign button and modifier.
Text editors let people chose which shortcuts are global or only active in certain context.

I’ve seen people who wants to change modifiers to be same as their previous DAW, and other people complaining not having shortcuts for closing VST window, note audition, etc. And I don’t like that current play/pause shortcut (spacebar) behaviour as it is ignored when some Vst window is open.

Also, I’m personally mad at setting middle mouse Pan mode not only change middle mouse drag behaviour but changes other behaviours too. Pan & Zoom mode is Bitwig default, MM dragging vertically zooms horizontally scrolls horizontally. Pan mode is supposed to change only mm drag behaviour to dragging horizontally and vertically scrolls horizontally and vertically. But zoom isn’t Ctrl+MW but plain MW with Pan mode.
This is intended behaviour confirmed by devs.

This request would ultimately solve all cases above.

Refererence

1 Like

Ok that makes sense, I understand better what you mean by “full”. I wonder if this should be split out into several different requests rather than one overarching one. What do you think?

Hmm, I think it can be split into three

• Allow mouse action and modifiers to be customized
  • Allow same key combination to be assigned shortcuts with different contexts
  • Make shortcut context to be customizable.

But I’d like to take time and hear from others before actually spliting this request.

1 Like

This sounds like a good way to get some more specific requests while still keeping the broader hope of it being a more full implementation. It’s been a few days so how about we work towards getting this separated out into three requests?

Yeah, I’ve been quite tempted to keep it combined as there are some other big requests (e.g. better piano roll).

And I noticed that, in ‘Better Piano roll’, specific requests are being piled up in relevant links section.
I like how things are grouped in a single ‘meta request’ and I think it’s good to do the same with this draft.

See related discussion: How to process requests that contain many features

You are invited to participate.

I think we will end up having separate requests. It’s more initial work but easier to discuss, vote, and implement.

The automatic bump saved this discussion from automatic closure. :slight_smile: So what’s the plan here?

We got 2 request from this and I think it’s enough for now. I don’t see a point of writing a feature request that require other requests to be implemented beforehand.

There was no one participating in the discussion for two weeks, so I think it’s safe to close it.

1 Like