Stepper/Performer modulator

What is this feature about?

This modulator would function similarly to Massive or Spire. In summary, it is similar to a MSEG but with a menu of predetermined modulation curves per step. It is more limited than an MSEG, but they are fun and quick to work with.

In addition to a menu of curves per step, these types of modulators usually have the option of 1 to 4 repeats per step. Another nice addition is being able to tie steps together. And, one more cool addition, that NI introduced in Massive X, is the option to shift/squeeze/stretch the modulation sequence, similarly to how you can shift the repeats on the Bitwig 4 note repeat operator.

So, to sum it up, A stepper modulator would be just another fun modulator device within Bitwig. The NI Stepper really influenced the sound of a lot of electronic music, especially bass music, when it was initially released. I think that for a lot of producers who are used to them, they are a fun and inspiring way to work with modulation.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It doesn’t resolve a problem, but is just a nice addition

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It adds another type of common modulator to the modulation system

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

You can route the “curve modulator” in from Reaktor Blocks, but the idea is to have one included in Bitwig’s internal modulation system.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or somethingelse reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

The “Curve Sequencer” in Reaktor Blocks

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Several synths do. Like I mentioned before, the most popular of those are Massive and Spire. Melda’s MsoundFactory also has one build into it’s LFO.

Relevant links (optional)

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Stepper/Performer modulator

@here curious about what you think about Bitwig’s new MSEG implementation, and whether anything changes for this feature request.

I just started exploring V5. I’m very happy with the new modulation. The new mseg’s can basically do everything a stepper does. It has a bit of a different feel than a stepper, but everything a stepper does can still be achieved. It could be cool if they added more curves (especially a sine wave), and an option for subdivisions. That would give a quicker workflow for stepper like modulation. But, I’m very happy with it already. I was working on making a stepper in the Grid recently, but now that this is out, there is no point in developing that patch more.

1 Like

@here should we consider this request resolved, based on @andrei_olenev’s comment above?

That would be fine. It seems like kind a picky request now, since the MSEG, pretty much covers what a stepper does. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.