Low to no code GUI for non-programmer usability of API’s (custom controllers)

A node based or other type of selection oriented tool for non-coders to create their own controller scripts. In use the user would be able to select representational objects or other easy to understand descriptors that represent a functionality and place them graphically in the data flow, tree structure or hierarchy. in placing the objects (and adjusting or providing their relevant parameters) the needed code would be added or altered to match the changes in the text within the script file when it is saved.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

the difficulty for musicians without coding experience to be able to define customized and complex interactions with the DAW

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Adds to the usability of the all ready in place open API and enabling it as a feature that any Bitwig users could use without days or weeks (possibly longer) investment just to first be able to understand how they can implement the feature and their intended result.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Not Exactly

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

No

Relevant links (optional)

Is this feature similar to WYSIWYG tools? I’d like to see something like that but I would rather imagine this as a 3rd party tool rather than integral part of the DAW.
It is because implementing such tool is quite complicated in my opinion.

I would not call this “low to no code”, but Bitwig comes with a simulator to support development with the Hardware API.

Re-reading this request, it would benefit from use cases. What kind of interactions would you like to use with which kind of controllers?

Oh, nice! ya i didnt know that was a feature, ive started that video series but i hadn’t gotten to that video yet. but right now Ive been trying to figure out the best way to implement this but i plan on making a controller with the elgato stream deck using the bitwig api and was thinking it would be so much easier with some type of graphical interface. but generally my thoughts were that it would be nice to be able to take any hardware that anybody may have laying around that they are not using all that much because of some sort of shortcoming or gotcha and be able to turn it into a bitwig customized/personalized powerhouse. like being able to take any button or menu or functionality you can use or any series of actions and be able to press one button on your controller and do it, be able to have pages for your controller and shift functions that you decide what they do yourself. even if you want it to do things like scroll the playhead or bring you to a defined combination of which windows are open( like one for piano roll and scenes only and no arranger, and one with arranger and audio comping windows) or whatever floats your boat which is pretty much what the api really offers…if you can put in the hours and the brains

Im also building my own controllers with arduinos so im considering the practical use in that scenario as well

ya, in essence thats kinda what im talking about, only instead of it being a gui that your creating you would be creating hardware functionality. i think there may be a way to basically just have the graphical interface which could take a selection you make which represents the functionality and would basically load the pre written code and just really fetch it out of a pre-saved text file. Maybe this would be a very basic and not very practical way of doing it, i would have to do more research so Im not sure how far this type of method can actually take anything, functionality wise. im a noob when it comes to code.

Have you tried Driven by Moss’ Generic Flexi?

I played few weeks ago with my Arturia Minilab and configured one of the pads to jump to the beginning of the track using Controller Shortcuts:

2022-01-10 16_27_53-Bitwig Studio - New 1

I know it is not graphical but works nice, if you use knob or pad it will automatically assign correct element.

1 Like

no i didnt know that generic flexi was so full features, i made the assumption that generic implied basic functionality. ill have to dive into this as it seems like most of what i would want to do can be accomplished with this along with the elgato stream deck. maybe this feature isnt much needed except for niche use cases like people trying to make their own controllers like me. im thinking it would be nicer to have it coded to be able to share it because i want to try and make and sell diy controller packages that come with pre-coded arduinos and a custom controller script for it. but i doubt many others would find this feature helpful so maybe its a bust as a feature request

1 Like

We can let this request sit here and see if anyone else is interested in the next couple of weeks.

Otherwise I agree that the Flexi framework is quite powerful.