Incoming Midi Tempo Recording

It should be possible to record a hardware gear set with tempo changes, and have the tempo map recorded for post production.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It is not possible to record midi tempo changes for working with hardware gear and editing it in post using their midi clock, not a cc message.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig already can run as a midi clock slave and can assign a midi automation for a tempo map, so it seems like an essential, easy to add feature people using outboard gear would want.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Probably not.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

It is possible to get it working pretty imperfectly with Bome MIDI Translator Pro, but, it requires writing a custom script and it only taps tempo. Also, it interferes with the ability to use the software because it’s spamming ctrl+alt+space over and over again, and there is no other work around.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Logic and Cubase pro have this feature.

Relevant links (optional)

Hi @SoundSnakeStudio! Welcome to Bitwish.

In the master track you can record the Transport > Tempo automation. Isn’t this providing the result you need?

No, I need the external master clock to automate the tempo recording on the tempo automation lane your talking about, and that isnt mappable within bitwig, I hit up bitwig about it and they said it isnt possible yet, but maybe to make a feature suggestion, so here I am. However, I got it working pretty archaically with bome midi translator pro, but its extremely complicated so I found a rule script that did something similar and tweaked it to work for my needs, got it receiving midi clock and everytime it receives 23 “F8” (clock) signals it send a keyboard command for ctrl+alt+space (I know it’s supposed to be 24 but this runs accurately and that doesn’t, I tested it with multiple source clocks) and that is working better than anything else that exists to do this very basic thing wich nothing else seems to do, I pulled up manuals for every other daw that had mention of a similar feature and none of them will let you record incoming midi clock as a tempo map automation, which seems like a feature everyone could use, so im very surprised by this realization, and happy that I found a workaround, but adding it natively to the daw would still be better, now that I own the bome midi translator pro plugin, I’m going to try to write a script that will emulate a potentiometer turn and my theory is that will be smoother, but I have to learn more of this script language first, if anyone wants it, I can post whatever works best after some more testing

1 Like

Oh, you’re right. I had assumed it was mappable but I was wrong. It’s good that you have contacted Bitwig support.

I have re-added the template that all feature requests in Bitwish follow. Can you adapt your initial post accordingly, please?

The paragraph i had written answers all the questions, I would really appreciate it if you didnt randomly edit my posts, thank you. I dont know how the tags work, please remove all of your edits and just add appropriate tags, thank you

Bitwish is a community project, all wishes are editable by all users, and no wish belongs to anyone. My edit wasn’t random at all. I have applied the same template that all posts in Features use. We decided to use this template after getting feedback from the Bitwig team about having a common structure for feature requests.

I hope this explains.

Huh? Why are posts editable by other users, what does that acheive?

Why cant I edit my own post then?

Try now, please. You should see an Edit button.

Having the posts editable allows for wiki-like collaboration an better quality of feature requests.

Does it look good now?

Very good, thank you. I have moved it to Features. If you can create or find a screenshot of this feature in Logic or Cubase, we can add it to the first post, and then it will be featured automatically when someone responds to this topic, making it more visible.

Here is a video of them using their version of the feature in Logic

1 Like

Update!: I got the tap tempo mapped un-intrusivley via midi instead of keyboard shortcuts via bome translator pro, but I had to map the tap tempo cc control in the “Shortcut” tab of the settings for it not to work like a “snap-to” tempo button and have it tap in the tempo

1 Like

As a first step for that, I suggested a feature to allow, at least, to set a midi track as “raw mode”, so that we can insert tempo variations “under” this track, ie. without modifications of the track tempo as recorded. Some kind of tempo warp.

Is it possible to assign a specific note to this tap tempo ? we could place it in the midi track in the lower place of the keyboard, like a keyswitch.

If you go into settings to the bottom most tab, you can map the tap tempo to a key or controller button and it actually functions like you would expect a tap tempo button to function, this also has a “learn” function, is that what you’re talking about?

As for not warping the track that is in a different tab in the settings menu, there is a dropdown menu option on how to timestretch midi and/or audio and both of those can be set to not timestretch, that is what your asking about, correct?

Not exactly : I’d like the midi part, that was recorded without metronome, to not be affected by the tempo automation I would set after, in order to fit the project tempo variations with this particular track’s tempo.

Ahhh ok, let me try to find the manual entry about this… Oh wait no, you’re correct, I must be confusing daw manuals, Bitwig only allows for audio track to be “untimestretched.” What use case do you want that for?

Yes, but it’s only for audio tracks. I’d like the same behavior for midi tracks. This is something I asked them. It’s on their list, but who knows when we’ll see it ?