Improved two finger touchpad scroll and gestures on Linux

At the moment, Bitwig’s Linux touchpad support is lacking:

1. There is no way to scroll horizontally with the touchpad
  2. Two finger scrolling is done in discrete jumps, rather than a smooth scroll
  3. No gesture support (2 finger pinch)

This problem has been tested on Fedora 35 using the generic libinput drivers on both xorg and wayland sessions. (Other scenarios welcome, just edit this description).

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Linux Bitwig users having a worse user experience than their counterparts in the other support platforms, for features that work in other Linux applications.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig thankfully has invested on a Linux version since the beginning, making the most powerful DAW natively running in this operating system. Feature parity is being achieved across all functionalities. This problem feels like a stain in a very good Linux track record.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Bitwig’s Windows and macOS Versions.

Relevant links (optional)

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Improved two finger touchpad scroll and gestures on Linux

We need this!

3 Likes

voted :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to see this improved! <3

1 Like

I’m really really missing horizontal scroll support using the touchpad. It’s something which you constantly do, so missing it is a major break of the workflow.

2 Likes

Waiting for horizontal scroll…

2 Likes

Adding my vote to this. I have spent a great deal of time and effort in setting up a music production environment on Linux, and I’ve been delighted with how capable Bitwig is on Linux, but the lack of full trackpad support has cramped my workflow quite a bit because I’m on a laptop most of the time and fast, smooth navigation is one of the most important features in a DAW for me.

2 Likes

That must be critical! It impacts the workflow of every linux users!

1 Like

Yes, it is sad that such an essential feature has to be in a feature request.

My mouse has an horizontal scrolling button and it does nothing. This would be so useful for the drivers/effects. It takes too much effort to go get that scrollbar every time especially on large screens.

1 Like

Any updates on that? :slight_smile:
Would loooove horizontal touchpad control!
Using alt while scrolling is okayish but the workflow is not that nice…

1 Like