Video support

Honestly, I think adding video to Bitwig is a terrible idea. It’s like using a convertible to move a house. The ability to view video inside of the DAW is only part of what would be needed to deal with video properly. Eventually you need timecode and the ability to use cue points on the timeline with multiple first measure positions. The Bitwig team would have to sink a lot of development and support time into this feature set. Meanwhile, we’re still missing several basic features for music production that have been available in competing products for decades. If you want to work with video, Steinberg has a mature product line for that purpose, even if it’s just the basic Cubase package.

Just a collateral comment. This is where Bitwig seems to be putting their R&D when it comes to file formats: a new DAWproject file format.

More about the new DAWproject file format. Food for your speculative thoughts, the format comes with a <video> tag. Which doesn’t mean anything really, but since posting here is free… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I just want to say that I’ve created account on this site to post exactly this request! At least some basic support for adding video clip.
At the moment I’m using VidPlay VST which well, is not very good but I don’t see any better option.

So, there it is, one voice for this feature!

2 Likes

I used to use VidPlay and yes, it is not the best. But now, after they released Touchdesigner integration I don’t need to use that vst. Yes, you need to run two programs simultaneously and use some way to keep the td performer window on top, but the td patch is very lightweight and keeping a window on top is achieved with windows’ powertools (can’t say for Mac).

Here’s Polarity’s tutorial on using td as a video player: https://youtu.be/1f01ELTWVRo?si=WiSUixfSkGRfvQo8

1 Like