Tracker-like sequencer

I did my first music on the Commodore AMIGA long time ago. There was a type of music arranger that was called “Tracker”. The workflow was to edit “patterns” with a specific length (similar to a clip in Bitwig) and then you wrote a sequence of patterns to make a song.

It would be a nice feature to have a “Clip sequence track” where you can launch clips of a specified track with the same interface as the piano roll or drum pattern editor. Only difference would be that there are no notes but clip numbers corresponding to the clip launcer (e.g c-0 is clip one, c#0 is clip 2 etc.).

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

This would be no problem solver, just a nice addon for clip launcing.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

This would make it possible to do tracker like arrangements and bring back that tracker feeling.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Not as far as i know.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

I don´t think so

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

May be a vst that imitates the behavior of a launchpad controller.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

There is a tracker based DAW called “Renoise” and there was an old VST with a tracker like GUI that send midi data to a track.

Relevant links (optional)

@Tharalo welcome to Bitwish and thank for contributing this idea.

Trackers were created in a context of technical constraints. No current day DAW would work on an AMIGA. Thanks to Polyend Tracker, Dirtywave M8, etc, tracker are getting as revival, but they too sell a their constrained environment as a source for creativity and fast sequencing. Those who want a tracker on their computers have Renoise and more. All this is good, and (disclaimer) I happen to have a Polyend Tracker and (free promo) I’m also a volunteer moderator on backstage.polyend.com. :sweat_smile:

Now, what would be the advantage of having a tracker-like sequencer on Bitwig? What would you be able to do that you can’t do already? A new sequencer would be a noticeable investment for Bitwig. What would they put their hours there?

I mean, this is your feature request and maybe a tracker sequence is what Bitwig is working on right now, I have no idea, :slight_smile: but I was curious about this request and this is why I thought about these questions.