Synchronize Editor to Arrangement

It would be a button that toggles this on/off: When on, the timelines (scroll position and zoom factor) would be synchronised between the Arranger window and the Detail Editor Panel below in a way that the bars are always aligned between the two, no matter how much you scroll or zoom in one of them.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Massive workflow improvement. If you are working on a track in the Detail Editor Panel and need to see quickly see where you are in the context of the arrangement. Also, when your edits in the Detail Editor Panel need to be aligned to something that is going on in a different track.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig is a lot about efficient workflow, being able to produce more and better music with as little wasted effort as possible.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

As far as I am aware, there is currently no way to achieve this, apart from manually aligning the two, which breaks again every time you scroll or zoom in one of them.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Studio One and Cubase have it, but most likely also others.

Relevant links (optional)

2 Likes

This makes sense to me and would be a workflow improvement. +1

2 Likes

Really good idea!
After looking into this issue, i realized: Bitwig has no scrubbing.
Something i always used in Cubase is scrubbing through the arranger or detail view (=dragging the playhead with the mouse). I think the feeling of “synchronization” also is much better, just because of this function. So this scrubbing function should also be a feature request, i guess. I haven’t found it on Bitwish, strangely enough. Only on KVR Audio, MIDI Scrubbing (Jogging) in Bitwig - Bitwig Forum - KVR Audio
cubase scrub

1 Like

Yes! Coming from Studio one, I miss this feature soooo much. Things like re-creating or perfectly aligning midi with an “off the grid” audio sample, was something I would do regularly. But in Bitwig, I just stopped doing that because it was such a pain in the ass to do in Bitwig. It also adds a few seconds to my workflow every time I open the piano roll in Bitwig because I need to scroll and zoom around before I get to the place I want to.

1 Like

Oh yea, Bitwigs piano roll focusing C7/8 instead of where the actual notes are is a huge pain. Hope they’ll fix that! You could also write a email to them about anything you d wish for, in case you havent yet.

2 Likes