Bitwig already does pretty good things with the ability to map most things to keys as desired.
However, there are a few places where more sensible use of key commands could speed up workflow immensely.
Combined with some new minor QoL functions, this can speed up workflows quite dramatically.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list.
- In the browser, when searching, pressing Enter should accept the first item in the list on the far right. - right now to select it with the keyboard I have to press the down arrow and then press Enter. Why?
- When renaming tracks with Ctrl/Cmd-R, it would be nice to press Tab to apply the rename and proceed to the next track with rename textbox focused. Press Esc to back out of that loop (Cancel) or Enter to rename without moving onto the next track. Not sure how this can be implemented for Events/Clips but there might be a way
- If multiple tracks are selected, renaming with Ctrl-R can either rename all to “XYZ” as provided, or auto-number as “XYZ 1”, “XYZ 2” etc Which behavious is used can be toggled in settings.
- Cmd-Option/Ctrl-Alt-D To duplicate a track without contents. At the very least, make it a context-menu option.
- By default, opening the editor panel (I have it bound to ‘E’) or double-clicking on the event/clip opens the editor with the clip width somewhat arbitrary, and note lane height pretty small. If I double-click the event again, it resizes to the length and “height” of the clip to attempt to show all the notes as large as possible. It would be nice to have this be a default way of opening the clip (with an option in settings to turn that behaviour off for those that don’t like it)
Various annoying QoL omissions that just make our eyes twitch a little when we have to do unnecessary actions
It makes Bitwig faster and more streamlined to use
I’m sure there are, although my QoL suggestions here are pretty specific to Bitwig’s way of working.