Output Device: Core Audio Default (on Mac)

Bitwig should have a “Core Audio System Device” audio device that follows the system settings and automatically restarts the audio engine for less frustrating user experience. “No Audio Device Selected”, “Audio Settings Changed” and “Audio System No Longer Available” messages can be completely avoided by automatically restarting the audio system

On a Mac when audio device is disconnected, it crashes the Bitwig audio system. It should detect that and switch to the operating system selected device without user input. I have to manually reselect audio output (they become inactive unless I select “Output Device: None” first and then select the new output device) and click “Activate Audio Engine” each time I switch from headphones to laptop speakers and each time I disconnect my headphones after connecting an audio interface. I’ve used other audio software where this is not a problem and the default system device is continuously available.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Frustration and pointless clicking when changing audio devices while switching from mobile to stationary laptop working setup

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Makes core product more user friendly and robust

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Many DAWs and Bitwig on Windows has better support for this

I guess it’s fine if “No Audio Device Selected” pops up every time an output is unplugged. (See this issue: Output Device: Core Audio Default (on Mac))

But it would also be really nice if there was a way to tell Bitwig “please don’t crash, just do your best.”

I have a setup with two outputs, a USB DAC and my headphones jack. If either is unplugged, Bitwig throws a fit. I can not even run a project without both plugged in. It’s insanely easy for everything to break down, and precarious to get it running in the first place.

Bitwig shouldn’t be so reliant on the existence of peripherals to target them. If something gets unplugged and then plugged back in, it should be able to cope.

I found a lot of relief for device switching crashes by creating an Aggregate Device named “All Channels” in OS X “Audio MIDI Setup” app.

I added everything (all outputs and inputs) to this Aggregate Device. I added permanent devices (like MacBook Speakers, BlackHole virtual devices) first in the list.

Then use Core Audio “All Channels” for input and output devices in Bitwig. Assign input/output mono and stereo busses with labels matching the order in “Audio MIDI Setup”.

Now I use Bitwig “Output Monitoring Panel” (little speaker on bottom right) to switch between outputs when my devices change. Sometimes inputs get re-arranged in my aggregate device so i relabel if needed or just use generic names.

I got this setup from Bitwig support advising me when I ran into an issue when using two different devices for input and output.

1 Like