OMF and AAF exporting capability

(First time? See Writing a good feature request)

Being able to export a project in OMF or/and AAF formats will make life easier when you want to open your project in another DAW or send it to someone who uses another DAW.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Relevant links (optional)

Are these file formats widely used?

Yes, most big DAWs can import and export OMF and AAF (ProTools, Logic, Cubase, MOTU Digital Performer)

1 Like

@hariossa are you planning to complete the description, so that we can move this request to #features ?

I’m happy to help, but first I need to understand how this would work in practice.

Basically, this export would be limited to audio clips in the arranger and their audio events (and automation?), right? I think it is important to be clear about what can be exported to other DAWs using these formats and what not. No audio FX, right? Just the plain audio clips in the arranger. Also, no mixing / master information? And no MIDI at all?

I have done a bit more reading and… can it be that these file formats are basically used in the context of video production? Can it be that the DAWs that support them also support video for scoring etc?

Does it really make sense to prioritize support for these file format without having Video support (9th most voted feature, fwiw)?