Music made with Bitwig - January 2022

Dark electro style song made in Bitwig Studio with only built in devices. First time used comping for the vocals.

an impulse fires
the sequence starts
forks a million times
out of control

1 Like

Just some new ā€œlofishā€ stuff ^^ I use Bitwig on Linux only with native Linux VSTs.

Any VSTs you can recommend? I didnā€™t find a lot of VSTs that are compiled for linux

1 Like

@derk all the u-he stuff, grallion, gclip, luftikus, vitalium, tal-reverb and maybe pionoteq but i donā€™t have this one.

2 Likes

Adrian from Anjunabeats said this track was a little raw, what do you think?

Mastered with Ozone 9

1 Like

Iā€™ve finished my project of techno-ish tracks and the coming months Iā€™m working on a new project that will be more experimental (to me). More irregular patterns, more randomness. Iā€™m even thinking of adding some of my own voice samples. The first track in this series is a composition made with the orchestral string presets, beautiful stuff, and a grand piano.

1 Like

J12

Something Darker

Essentially just plugins, samples, and bitwig
ā€¦oh and some guttural mumbling

I missed posting here a few days but Iā€™ve been filling my YouTube channel daily.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve made two new things with Bitwig in Jamuary:

I tried out how to create granular stuff with the Grid Sampler, where the secret to acutally having multiple grains lies in making the grid have several voices - which catapults CPU useage of course, and for single grid patch songs like this one, also can introduce odd phasing and other fragments. Iā€™m not 100% certain how random LFOs work with multiple grid voices. Definitely, oscilloscopes etc. donā€™t display anything any more with more than 1 voice, so thereā€™s none in here.

This was made in Bitwig, and the songā€™s performance is assisted by Bitwig (by means of me just automating the heck out of All The Macros), but is actually a single synth patch song in Phase Plant. All the sounds, FX etc. come from that one patch, I only added some mastering after this recording.

1 Like

Hi
Iā€™ve produced this EP using just Bitwig 8 Track,its internal instruments and FX,samples from my collection.
I didnā€™t use any midi controller, Iā€™ve recorded all drum, bass, and melodies lines using just a laptop keyboard. Four tracks,two of them are breakbeats, and the other two -liquid funk DNB.
Thanks for listening!

1 Like

I did a few breakbeat tracks this month but ultimately Iā€™m drawn back to the 4/4 kick. I just discovered that I can add LFO modulators almost anywhere to fiddle with knobs for me. Maybe I should have read the manual sooner.

1 Like

Yay knobs! :slight_smile: I read the Bitwig user guide when I was trying to get used to lockdown and I learned a lot. It is a guide actually written to be read. Someone is taking care of little details a leaving fun little comments within the instructions.

And your track, nice build up!

1 Like

New track in the works. All done with native Bitwig devices. Again played with the vocoder on the vocals. I am still a bit undecided on only using the vocoder or using a mix of the natual vocals + vocoder.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also doing a collaboration project with some other members on soundcloud, one of them also uses bitwig mostly. Well, itā€™s not so much a collaboration but we do these themes and everyone makes a track in said theme and we have a bit of a chat on discord. Anyway, this time the theme is ā€œpermafrost / frozen worldā€ and I made this track. It starts of small and low and dark and slowly opens up, as a very long night comes to an end

1 Like

Today it was time for Bitwig Grid again in my Jamuary :slight_smile: It started as ā€œjust something psyā€ and quite definitely became something very close to forest psy.

The kick and the bass were very quick to make, I spent most time on the animals I think :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice work. Are you sharing any of your experiments bitwig files? Iā€™d love to have a look at a few of them to learn a few things about the grid

1 Like

Thanks a lot @derk! I havenā€™t shared any of them yet anywhere, no - I have a repository where I started sharing some of the VCV patches Iā€™d made, would make sense to do that for the Grid patches as well. Many of them donā€™t quite work without the samples for parts in there, like the riser hereā€¦

I did actually export the animals bit of this grid as a preset though, just readied it for download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7gBwA0jYgqddIJ0LjPEnmz0-sWWdI78/view?usp=sharing

Iā€™ll let you know if I find out how this could work in a more organised fashion!

2 Likes

I concluded my January project today with a very slow (96bpm) 4/4 track. I was looking for a lower bound in bpm that still works with a 4/4 kick. I cheated a bit by doubling a few of them but overall Iā€™m quite happy with the result

2 Likes

In the Venus Theory community Discord, thereā€™s currently a challenge running, where a track has to be made that fits one of a few made-up genres. I picked ā€œ1-bit web ambientā€, and this is the result:

1 Like

"1-bit web ambientĀØ, heh. Your Experiment #36 sound triggered the parts in my brain where the song TONES ON TAIL rain 1984 - YouTube was stored and almost forgotten for years. And for this, I thank you. If you donā€™t know it, I recommend it from beginning to end.

1 Like

Thanks @icaria36, listening now, this sounds wonderful! And yeah, the bleeps and bloops have a certain similarity :sweat_smile: