Multi-Choice Filtering in Collections in Device Browser

We need to be able to use multiple filters in the Collections section of the Devices Browser to make it more usable (like the filtering works in the Category section).

I’ve created a LOT of Collections for different types of devices to which I assign my plugins (since, sadly, BW’s automatic CATEGORY assignments aren’t always correct or useful, and to which you cannot add).

For example, I have collections for Demo, Purchased, Free, and the various types, like Dynamics, EQ, Meters, etc. I would like to be able to filter my list of plugins to, say, show me all of my EQ, Compressor, and Saturation plugins that I have Purchased, and that I have also marked as Favorite. Currently, I can only choose ONE of those.

Basically, make it work like it does in the Category section, where you can select multiple options. Also, in the implementation of this feature, the ability to make multiple selections in the Add To… context menu at one time should be included (instead of having to do one, have the popup disappear, open it again, assign another, have it disappear, open it again, etc.). Yeah, I know we can drag and drop, but if you have LONG list like I do, that isn’t always practical.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would provide for a MUCH better, more robust, and usable way for users to search for and select Devices in the Browser using Collections.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It is a no-brainer improvement, really, especially since the exact code needed already exists for Category.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Um… no.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Yeah, the Category section of the Browser in BW.

Relevant links (optional)

3 Likes

@here The Browser has been redesigned in Bitwig 5. It comes with collections, smart collections, and snapshots. Have you got a chance to check the new browser? Do you think it addresses your concerns behind this feature request?