Modulator selector

Just like an instrument selector or FX selector, the idea is that you would be able to load modulators into a modulator selector, or have an option to right click on a modulator to place it in a modulator selector, so you can add additional modulators to select between.

The modulator selector could be sitting inside modulator slots, just like any other modulator.

Ideally, we would be able to have an option to have absolute or interpolated values when switching between modulators, so we could blend between different modulations if we want.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Currently it is possible to select a modulator among many, but it requires convoluted designs with Parseq-8 or The Grid. These alternatives are likely to take extra CPU power when using multiple modulators.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It expands on modulation. We have instrument selectors, FX selectors, and router/merge modules in The Grid. This just would apply the same type of idea to the modulators section.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

You could have multiple modulators sending to values (knobs) in The Grid, then run each of those values into a router device, and have one value (knob) running into the control input of the router. This would allow you to select between different modulators, but you have to load up the grid, and it could get tedious if you have a lot of modulation.

You could also map each modulator to each value slider in Parseq-8, and then map output of that step to what you want or to a single Macro modulator.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Not applicable, given that modulators are a Bitwig-specific feature.

Relevant links (optional)

See also:

3 Likes

You can use Parseq-8 modulator as selector (just put it in Hold mode and use phase), but obviously it’s limited to 8 slots. It should be possible to daisy-chain multiple of them though, but I think we need something like this specifically made for selector-based approach with expandability.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. The Parseq-8 will allow you to select between different values, but not different modulators. However, you could have the modulators you want to select between controlling each of the 8 steps on parseq8 though. So, it would work that way. But, I think that could get messy and confusing if there is a lot of modulation.
Especially if you want to select between modulators that have multiple modulation outs, like the parseq8, the pitch12, the vector8 ect… To select between those is complicated.

I generally like the idea of being able to customize how we use modulators like we can with other device types. This is why I suggested A Grid Modulator . I think that an FX selector would be useful, and could open the possibility of other types of containers within the modulator section as well. So, down the road, we could have more flexibility with the modulators.

1 Like

the trick is, that you map each modulator to each value slider in Parseq-8, and then map output of that step to what you want or to a single Macro modulator. if Parseq-8 is in monophonic mode, only one output can be active at any given time. if per-voice, then of course you can modulate phase polyphonically as well

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the tip, but like I mentioned above, that will work, but it gets messy and confusing when you have a lot of modulators, especially if you are selecting between modulators with multiple sub modulators, like parseq8, pitch12, or vector8/4. That’s why, I just thought a simple selector, just like we have with fx and instruments would make a lot of sense. Also, you could for example, change the order of modulators, or audition other modulators easily without having to change and keep track of lots of modulation routings. And, also, like I mentioned above, I think the general idea of containers (like a selector) in the modulator section could open up a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Modulator selector