Individual MIDI clip export

Exporting MIDI from Bitwig is currently only possible by choosing File > Export. This exports all of the MIDI clips in the whole session. It is suggested that it should be possible to right click on a MIDI clip and select an Export option, which should export only the contents of that clip to a new MIDI file. Furthermore, when importing a MIDI file exported from Bitwig back into Bitwig, it is suggested that the file name should be applied to the new clip. Currently this does not occur and this can be very inconvenient when creating sample libraries with MIDI clips.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would simplify importing and exporting MIDI clips.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It would improve the workflow when importing and exporting MIDI, especially when creating sample libraries that include MIDI clips.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

To export a single MIDI clip, you can drag it to an empty bitwig project, and then export. There is still the problem though, that when you load that clip back into Bitwig, it’s filename doesn’t show up on itself in the arranger.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Ableton

5 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Individual MIDI clip export

I just wanted to add that the absence of this feature is quite puzzling and more than a little annoying. We can already drag MIDI files directly into clips, why can’t we do the opposite? I need this very often, e.g. when I create dozens of melody ideas at the start of a project and I want to keep them as MIDI files to avoid clutter in my arranger window, but having to drag each clip to a separate project and export them from there one by one really puts a damp on things. One reason I love Bitwig is that has very few annoyances for me, but this one issues burns.

1 Like