Hardware drum and drum map

Hello, I’ve got an old drum machine which I would like to use in modern DAW.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would use your hardware drum machines more simply, straight into the DAW

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

You can give custom names to notes in Piano Roll

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Yes, but it’s a bit odd. You need to do blank Drum machine and do their mapping.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

I don’t think so

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Reaper, Studio One, Cakewalk. It’s been an old story like loading GM Drum map.

Relevant links (optional)

@everipper Is this a feature request for Bitwig? What drum machine do you have?

I did furst post wrong. My request is to give us ability to save custom drum maps for software and hardware drum machines which would be useful when programming drum parts in DAW.

No worries, you can edit the top post anytime to improve your feature request.

Still… in your case. Have you tried taking an empty drum machine device, map it once, and then select “Save Preset to Library”?

exactly what i do. The simplest way is to put empty cells in a drum rack before the vst or hardware instrument. that is your “map”.

If you need to remap stuff so it fits into a drum rack without spaces… I put the vst /hardware instrument at c3 and then put note transposers in the other slots. then load up a bunch of note receivers before the VST/HW instrument. save as preset and you got another map!

1 Like

Here’s the deal - I don’t see using blank drum machine as a solution for it. In S1, Reaper you just open piano roll and save there your maps, etc. That’s what I’d like to see. Also I can remember old days when DAW had built in GM Drum maps, etc.

Ok, in Bitwig you can play a drum machine using the piano roll but I don’t think you can add labels to the piano keys.

But other than the visual representation, a Drum machine can do the same, with the advantage that you can not only label every note with Kick, Snare, etc, but also use per-note devices, modulators, and the choke features. Once you have mapped your drum machine, you can close the track if you want and use the piano keyboard as you would do with your method.

I’m not trying to convince you, just to ensure that you have explored the possibilities that Bitwig already offers. I’m not sure the Bitwig team is interested in implementing “legacy” features when probably in their opinion they are offering something better equipped for the task.