Force Launch Quantization Origin Reset Points

Launch Quantization is a great tool but limits one to strict 4 / 8 Bar arrangements, a single transition bar between two Parts will throw it off for the remainder of the arrangement. A possibility to set “force-reset” points that will be handled as a new origin for launch quantization, could solve this problem.
These points should be settable in the arranger timeline and inside the clip launcher.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Allowing to leave 4 / 8 Bar arrangements by inserting single or two bar transitions in-between parts and still being able to use launch quantization

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Launch Quantization is an important part of Bitwigs clip based workflow. This is one fundamental flaw in this that can be resolved like this.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Clip Launcher Workflow: One can simply manually jump using the mouse to correct the timing.
Arranger Workflow: Here one can use a Workaround using Time Signatur changes. E.g. An extra bar after an 8 4/4 bar loop can be achieved by setting the last bar to 8 / 4. The Launch Quantization (and snapping) behaves as expected, following the number of bars, not beats.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Clip Launcher Workflow: The workaround above could be automated using API scripting. But since this involves messing around with the timeline this is quite an awkward solution.
Arranger Workflow: Not that I know off.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No, this is fundamental Bitwig logic, no VST can interfere.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Not to my knowledge

1 Like

@JakeX Hi, I’m trying to understand your request. Can you help me, please? I’ll focus on the clip launcher.

Can’t you do this by literally adding those bar transitions as clips in another scene?

Also, you can quantize up to the 1/16 level…

I guess I’m just not understanding.

No, this will throw of the launch Q
Imaging I am jamming in 8 Bar loops, using the launch Q (Which follows the arranger timeline)
My verse and Chorus are both multiplicates of 8 Bars, so I can always leave the launch Quantization at 8 Bars and it will always work.
Now I want to insert a two bar bridge.

The next Chorus after that bridge now does not start on a multiple of 8 Bars (but on x * 8 + 2 bars), I now need to set the launch Quantization to only two bars to start it at the correct time and I have to keep it like this for the remainder of the song.
The Launch Q will always respond to the number of bars in the Arranger, i.e. 0 8 16…
But after that bridge I want it to respond to bars x * 8 + 2: 18, 26, 34… this way I can again launch my 8 bar parts with 8 bar launchQ.

My workaround above, in this case this would be setting the bridge to 8 bars of 1 beat instead of 2 bars of 4, kinda works but sometimes results in unexpected behaviour, e.g. when restarting playback.

1 Like