Follow Action for scene

As it exist Follow Action to trigger clips of the same tracks, it will be great to have a Follow Action for scene

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Avoid the creation of empty clip to trigger a clip present on the next scene

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

When clicking on a scene, options to set the Follow Action, as when clicking on a clip

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

By using a third party software like loopMidi, and midi learn a midi note to “next scene”. But it need a clip and an extra track to trigger the next scene.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Yes, the function “next scene” exist already on the API.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

With loopMidi or equivalent third party software.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Ableton Live

Relevant links (optional)

3 Likes

@Frac hi, sorry that it took so long to respond.

I don’t know whether this feature was here before, but looking at Bitwig 5.0 beta 6, if you select a scene, you have the same “Next Action” options that you have for single clips. Does this solve the problem you describe?

Agreed, this is missing. Scenes are not really a concept in Bitwig as far as I understand in anything but name. A scene is just a macro which forwards all settings to the regions is contains. As a consequence if there is no scene there won’t be a next action.
@icaria36 unfortunately no, this doesn’t solve the issue.

What a strange way of programing scenes…
I give up.

@Frac @4ndy When you click a scene, a “Next Action” dialog is available at the end of the Inspector left column. Why is that not enough?

@icaria36 See this:
https://i.imgur.com/XCZlDAm.gif

As you see, when no clip is present on a track of the actual scene, the Next Action you mentionned didn’t start the clip on the next scene. This is no Next Action for Scene, just a shortcurt to select Next Action for clips that are present… It still need an empty clip to trigger the clip on the next scene.

1 Like

Thank you for the short screencast. So yes, as @4ndy says, in Bitwig scenes are just containers. One could argue that this is what scenes actually are, and that the length of a scene is as long as the longest of its clips. :slight_smile:

Still, if you just click a clip cell to create an empty clip… would that solve your problem? Looks like a workaround way simpler than using 3rd party software, midi mapping, etc.

I tried already to “work” with empty clips, but it is very confusing (even I write on it “empty” or set a specific color for them). I want to know in “one sight” the organisation of the clips arrangement especially for Live situation.

The philosophy of clip based sequencer, in my understanding, is to make easy the reading of the clips arrangement on the session view. If we have to create “fake” clips, in my understanding, to automate the trigger of the next scene, it look like a workaround, that can be avoid like Ableton Live do (so, nothing extraordinary or that need complex computer calculation)
Other example, if I have a project with 16 tracks, creating at least 16 empty clips just to automatize the next scene, is just cumbursome and not ergonomic at all. It eat a lot of production time that could, imho, be avoided.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for your explanations.

Well, I’ll just add that you can vote your own requests :slight_smile: and that writing to support@bitwig is always a good idea.

How is it possible, that they forgot this important feature?
first time, i’m dissapointed.