Flexible Amount of Remote Controls (instead of 8 each Page/Bank)

A remote control editor for Project/Track (and Device) contains an arbitrary configurable amount of control slots per Bank/Page instead of only 8 per Page. A multiple of 8 in one Page would be OK for starters in order to keep the classical 8-controls unit intact.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

If remote control pages are accessed via API only max of 8 remote controls of a Page can be accessed. This is a conventional limitation which doesn’t fit for controllers which have f.i. 32 knobs and other controls. The via API 18 introduced Project Remote Controls are with max 8 controls at once too limited in my opinion.
Problem:

Project project = host.getProject();
    Track rootTrackGroup = project.getRootTrackGroup();
    // cursor remote controls Page encompass only 8 controls per page
    remoteControls1 = rootTrackGroup.createCursorRemoteControlsPage(8);
    // A possible workaround to obtain 2nd CursorRemoteControlsPage throws error, there con only be one main remote
    //CursorRemoteControlsPage remoteControls2 = rootTrackGroup.createCursorRemoteControlsPage(PARAMTERS_SIZE);

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

A control script which mainly focusses on project controls and the superb Bitwig remote control pages would be a very flexible indirectional layer between API and flexibel remote control mapping for all kinds of user demands. Bitwigs is very advanced in terms of controller support and would very much benefit from coming over the classical 8 controllers only per bank paradigm.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Yes I tried here with this code and it works but is cumbersome and maybe breaks in future quickly:

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No, there need to be API changes, the workaround above is doable, but maybe an additional class to
b) …allow a special Remote-Object by the API to spread over pages/banks
c) …get straight to the global project remote macros one by one without the Remote Control Bank would be nice.

Generally the UI and the Remote Control Editor would have to reflect the API therefore both, API and the Editor-Component would have to be retrofit. For my personal needs a change in the API would make me happy :slight_smile:

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No not really, above in the code I posted I implemented a workaround but with certain disadvantages

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Ableton Live 11 offers up to 16 macro controls.

1 Like

@systemexklusiv thank you for your request. It is now in #features.