Dynamic Wavetable Editor

(First time? See Writing a good feature request)

I’d like for Bitwig to implement a wavetable editor similar to that of other wavetable synths, similiar to phaseplant or vital, but with the additional feature to modulate the editor values using the Bitwig modulators.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

When wavetables are created, they are static in nature allowing you to scan through it with the timbres that it has. This feature would allow wavetables to change over time. So imagine a wavetable where you don’t touch any knobs, but the shape of it changes over time. But with the wavetable scan feature, it adds another dimension to wavetables.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Due to how dynamic this feature is and the modulation capabilities, it fits perfectly with Bitwig.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No, I actually don’t think this idea exists until now. I don’t know of any other synth or editor that can do this.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

The Bitwig devs can implement it in the daw.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

None that I know of.

Relevant links (optional)

1 Like

Interesting proposal, thank you!

Given the quantity of free wavetable editors and collections of wavetables, I think it it worth focusing on the feature that makes this request unique: modulating wavetables. How are you imagining it?

What types of modulation would be applied here? Would the current modulators work? Audio signals are unidimensional (time) but wavetables are tridimensional. Maybe using three modulators, one for each axis? :exploding_head:

1 Like

Hey icaria,

Basically the idea came about thinking about the phaseplant wavetable editor but having the ability to modulate those parameter to make a wavetable that moves constantly over time. So the wavetable isn’t only modulatable using the index to cycle through the wavetable, but have the timbres of the wavetable itself change over time.

Yes, the current modulators will work just like anything else in Bitwig. So first, Bitwig will have to build a wavetable editor, then just click the modulation arrow on the side of the editor to modulate whatever you want.

Is this not an interesting request or is covered somewhere else?

Bitwig already have a wavetable module in the Grid. AFAIK no editing function yet.

Yeah but this isn’t just a wavetable you scan through, it’s a wavetable editor for one which basically means you can make your wavetables.

Two, this is also saying that you can modulate the parameters to make the wavetable. This second part, I don’t know if it’s possible, but it was an idea that I thought would be amazing if it was possible.

At the very least, I’d like a wavetable editor.

Unless the changes are random, the user would still need to define… something that makes the shape change over time. How do you imagine this working?

There is also the question about what musical goal would this achieve, and whether this goal can be achieved in other ways. Experimentation as goal is fine, of course.

For what is worth, a concept of “dynamic wavetables” is mentioned here:

https://www.willpirkle.com/synthlab/docs/html/wavetable_files.html

@funkboypablo32 I suggest we keep this request to a standard Wavetable Editor. The Dynamic would still be mentioned in the description, pointing to the discussion below.