[Draft discussion] Piano roll: setting for new note length

Could you name at least one DAW offering such setting, please? Or at least one DAW where new notes have always the same default length, as you are requesting here.

In Ableton, when you draw a new midi note, it makes it the smallest division of whatever resolution you are zoomed to. I find that to be an easier way to work as well, because in Bitwig, sometimes when I draw a new note, it is too long. My workaround is to draw the note on an unused note lane, shorten it, and drag it to where it needs to be. I think Pier’s idea of making an option would be great, so people who are comfortable with the current method can keep it that way.

2 Likes

Ableton Live, like Andrei suggested. From the videos I’ve seen, I think Studio One also defaults to the current grid subdivision.

1 Like

I often feel frustrated by this too. Perhaps a modifier when entering notes could work well for determining whether or not it should use the last entered not length for a newly placed note?

2 Likes

I would love to just have an option in the preference.

@pier I’ve made a few edits to the OP to make it passive voice and clarify a few points. What do you think?

1 Like

Looks good!

1 Like

Great! Lets give this 24 hours in case of any further discussion and then I’ll move to #features

2 Likes