[Draft discussion] Note Out module for The Grid

Thank you so much for this conversation. I am learning a lot.

Now, to get this request out of Drafts and into #features … What if we focus the request on being able to use The Grid to generate Note data that instruments can use out of The Grid? Then we can mention that one way to achieve this would be a Note Grid device, following Poly Grid and FX Grid. And we also mention that another way could be a Note Out module on The Grid. The data types available would be the same available for Note Clips. This would be more precise than talking about MIDI and MPE.

The title (that users should be able to understand without having to read the entire description) could be something like “Play instruments with notes created through Grid patches”.

yeah, rather than ‘MIDI Out’ we need ‘Note Out’ module with all supported expressions. and NoteFX Grid would be additional request, potentially tied to creation of this module.

As for Note Out module, I would expect it to have:

• Gate input
  • Pitch input
  • Velocity input
  • Pressure input
  • Timbre input
  • Release Velocity input
  • output Channel select

maybe also Pan and Gain? afaik these seem specific to Bitwig devices. and in order for that module not to be huge every time you put it in Grid, probably good idea to either enable these inputs via inspector panel, so the module expands like Merge/Split or to have it behave more like Sum module where initially you have Velocity input hanging in there, and if you use it, it expands the module and shows next expression input available, and so it expands as you use up more inputs. might be a bit pain in the ass if you just want to generate Timbre specifically, so you’d have to temporarily connect other expressions to get to Timbre, then disconnect unused ones.

1 Like

I have edited the title and description. Please review.

We need to improve this sentence in the section about alternative ways:

Review of the VST and other products sections is welcome too.

Almost there!

@here I have polished the description a bit more. I will promote this request to #features in a couple of days unless there is any objection.

1 Like

@here This feature has been implemented – see Note Out module for The Grid - #3 by x.iso