[Draft discussion] MIDI Instrument Sub lanes/tracks

Thank you! I have added a template to help put this request in good shape.

One question, is this the same as Pattern tracks?

1 Like

No, those types of tracks are more like automation tracks. It selects the played pattern for only specific devices that have patterns.

Reason just basically letā€™s you create as many MIDI tracks to the same device/instrument in the main sequencer. No need for grouping, routing, sends or anything like that. Very simple, yet very flexible.

1 Like

@pjelli thanks for requesting this, I miss this feature from Reason too. Iā€™ve edited the post to put it into the template format and added some detail

2 Likes

Unless Iā€™ve misunderstood something, you can achieve this quite trivially by:

• Creating a group track. Put your instrument on the group track master.
  • Create an instrument track within the group. Set the output for the instrument track as Notes to Tracks ā†’ Group Master Track. The ā€˜notes to tracksā€™ section is right at the bottom of the track output drop down.
  • Duplicate this instrument track as many times as needed

Notes from the individual instrument tracks will now feed up to the group master and trigger the instrument on it. I use this technique quite frequently to create polyrhythmic patterns where each clip loops at a different rate, but they all trigger the same instrument.

IMHO this existing functionality is so similar to MIDI sub lanes that it makes this feature request very low priority.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thanks!

I will try this and see if creating a template will help. Thanks!

Interestingā€¦I tried searching for ā€œNotes to Tracksā€ in the official manual and there is nothing documented about that feature. I would have never known about it if I did not put in this request. Is this a newer feature?

1 Like

@hez thank you for posting an alternative solution. Can confirm this works very nicely and more straightforwardly than the note receiver workaround I put in the template. Iā€™m also running 3.3 on a laptop running High Sierra and it still works so itā€™s not a new feature.

Iā€™ll update the OP with this method and weā€™ll get this promoted to #features but I agree that this workaround is straightforward enough to be usable. Itā€™s still more complicated than just righ clicking the track and adding a note lane so Iā€™d like to see some kind of macro that automates the process but itā€™s pretty straightforward to set up nonetheless.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to see that this little process and this template seem to be working so far. Having a feature request that includes a workaround helps everyone!

1 Like

@pjelli @bjorn No worries at all, happy to help. Thereā€™s definitely a lack of documentation around some of this stuff in Bitwig!

You can save group routings as presets by creating a clip within a group track structure, then dragging the group level ā€˜metaclipā€™ to your browser, saving it as a clip. When you drag that group clip preset back out into a project, it will retain its internal routing. I have a preset saved with a single instrument track routing its MIDI to the group master, and I just drag this preset out whenever I want to use this routing setup, duplicating the instrument track as many times as I need for the given situation. This is pretty quick (focus side-browser, type a few letters, drag clip out, Ctrl+D to duplicate the instrument track), and saves fiddling around with track routing drop downs whenever you want to use this technique : )

1 Like

Thanks for the added context, thatā€™s a great tip I didnā€™t know you could drag clips to the browser like that. Iā€™ve added this into the OP and bookmarked to promote to #features tomorrow if there are no further amendments.