[Draft discussion] Alias clips / Linked clips

Six votes! I have added the template to put this feature request in shape. Anyone can help improving the description. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @icaria36 I’ve just had a go writing the content in to the template. Edits welcome naturally.

2 Likes

Is there a plain definition of alias clips somewhere that we can reuse?

If I understand correctly, this is a feature that Ableton Live doesn’t have out of the box but it can be achieved through a Max for Live device?

https://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2748/alias-clips

1 Like

This description on the Live forum is quite nice:

Linked clips enable convenient editing of clips that repeat throughout a project. Edit any one clip and the changes are automatically applied to all the other linked clips, also known as instances. It’s easy to see how this would extremely useful when producing electronic music genres.

Cubase, FL Studio, Logic, Reaper, Studio One and maybe other DAWs too implement this; surprisingly, Ableoton Live—the most popular DAW among electronic music producers—doesn’t.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=236547

2 Likes

Thank you! Added. I think this draft is ready to go?

1 Like

Great that’s a nice addition indeed. Could we perhaps amend the template with another heading at the beginning for a definition of the concept being suggested? And sure if you don’t think any further changes are needed I’m happy with it.

2 Likes

Can someone review the tags, please? Even if here we are talking about “clips”, this feature doesn’t depend on Bitwig “clips” or the Clip Launcher, right? Or does it? Even if I understand the problem I still haven’t visualized how it would be resolved in Bitwig (I haven’t used the DAWs where this feature already exists).

(I’ll edit the template, good point.)

1 Like

The tags I assume are DAWs that have the feature already? I’m not sure, were they definitely added manually?

Yes you’re correct about that, we’re not talking about the clip launcher. This feature would apply in the main arranger window where the same clip (audio and/or MIDI and/or automation) might appear several or even many times at various points throughout the track and which you might like to keep identical to each other.

1 Like

The tags… are many things now. :slight_smile: Ok, I had added the #arranger tag already. The #midi one might be relevant too. The whole tags things will be fine tuned as we get to use them more.

1 Like

Nice, the arranger tag does add some context. I think this is a feature that people will understand if they already need it, and I’m confident the devs would understand it from the description if they don’t already know that is. If not they can always ask us to clarify :wink:

1 Like

Any objections to promoting this to #features at this point?

2 Likes

A small suggestion. Linked clips must be linked both in the arrangement window and in the session window.
linked clips
Also. Note that in Bitwig, when you copy a clip, “# number” is added to it. Linked clips should probably have the same name.
2021-11-07_00-16-40

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughts and the mockups. I think this can go to the description as well?

1 Like

yes, I agree

I decided to change the mockup a little

1 Like

Thank you @Oleg I’ve added the mockup to the OP. I’ll come back and promote to #features in 24 hours if there are no further amendments.

2 Likes

Ah ok great, thank you. Ok lets give this 24 hours for any additional discussion and then I’ll move to #features

2 Likes

@Oleg , should any of your additional points and mockups be added to the description? Or we can keep the comments here, while archiving the rest. Or we can just archive everything. As you prefer.

1 Like

For me, the description looks pretty comprehensive. Also, I think it will not be superfluous to save our comments on this topic.

Ok, I’ll make a more selective cut. Give me a sec…

1 Like