Choose sidechain by clicking track

So, when choosing a side chain input you have to go through sometimes very long successive menus to select where you want your sound to come from - wouldn’t it be cool to use a similar way of choosing side chain source as is used with modulation - namely by clicking on the track or device in the UI?

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

When choosing a side chain input you have to go through sometimes very long successive menus to select where you want your sound to come from.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Faster workflow.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Yes, the current way, which may take several steps.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Relevant links (optional)

4 Likes

I’ve sent them feature request about this before, basically a way to drag’n’drop source to the dropdown box of source selection of any type.

1 Like

Yup, I also came up with this exact idea, we just need a color picker, but for audio sources.
However, it is simpler to say that than implement it as sidechain channel can point out to different sources - Pre/Post mixer for tracks, specific device output (eg. nested inside FX chains). The same goes for selecting MIDI sidechain source.

Something like this would definitely speedup workflow with selecting sidechain sources.

2 Likes

a modifier key while holding cursor can help with alternating between PRE and POST target, with hint on bottom bar.

@LXIF, Can you make a draft feature request out of this? It would be great to push it further.

1 Like

@here If there is interest in this request, I can help with the drafting if needed.

I’d love this! +1

1 Like

+1 want!

1 Like

@here sorry for the slow reaction. Post moved to #drafts and template added. The first post is now wiki editable.

@here Request moved to #features. Are there other products offering this feature that we could add as reference?