Button or device to stop all leftover audio

A feature like i.e. a button (and preferrably a way to do that with modulators as well) that allows you to cancel all leftover reverb trails, delays, releases, decays and whatever else can continue producing sound even after all notes have stopped (and even the stop button has been pressed).

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would allow you to add stops right into a track without having to manually mute every other track, having to modulate the e.g. reverb amount to zero on all reverbs, or having to wait for everything to ring out.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig is all about automation. Automated audio controls would fit perfectly I think.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Everything else is a pain as a lot of manual work is needed for something that might not even be fully satisfactory.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Probably not. Probably the only somewhat simple way to do this is to reinitialize every used plugin, so that VST plugins can also be reset. Those usually don’t have a way to achieve a full audio kill. This would come at the cost of not being usable during playback, but it would at least allow for support for double-clicking the stop button to stop everything.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Definitely not.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Ableton has double-stop click audio stop support implemented already, but it doesn’t seem to be able to cope with everything at the moment.

Hi @sysfs, although Bitwig doesn’t have double-stop functionality, I believe you can achieve what you need with current features. I found this discussion:

And then I tried a couple of things, which were very easy to implement:

1. Add a Button modulator to the “Project” section (or however it’s called) and map it to the Mute button of all tracks. Very easy to do but in fact it doesn’t stop the tails, it just mutes everything. If you unmute and the tail is still running, you will hear it.

2. Add a Globals modulator and map “Play” to the on/off button of the device(s) causing the long tails. Have these devices off by default, enabling On when transport is playing. This does cut the tails immediately. One problem is that it seems to take a a few milliseconds from pressing Play to having the device running with audio. If this synth needs to create sound from the very very beginning (as soon as you press Play), then you might hear a bit of missing audio. Otherwise it works just fine.

You can create your own variation based on these solutions i.e. modulating the device output volume to zero when transport stops instead of turning the device completely off.

The screenshot is not very self-explanatory but the idea is that I mapped the Mute buttons to “Button” and the On/Off button to Play in “Globals”.

this does sound like the sanest approach yet, but I’d still need to add this to each plugin manually. I don’t even think a type of preset exists that just allows you to overlay settings over any plugin like what would be useful here…
Also the delay would be kind of frustrating to me, since I tend to have audio from the very beginning most of the time

1 Like

I’d like a feature that RECORDS all “leftover audio” tails (I use tools like Voxengo Recorder for that currently).

1 Like

@sysfs, ok, your wish is now in Features. You can vote on it (just click on the button with the vote number on the top left corner). Everyone gets 10 votes.

1 Like

Rellated? Audio pre-record - #5 by icaria36

1 Like