Allow for a Muse Headset or other EEG devices as an instrument input on Bitwig

A Muse headset is just one kind of EEG device that can be used to map or visualise brainwaves primarily as a biofeedback device for meditation and relaxation. It could also be used to control midi based on the brainwaves of the person wearing the headband. Various Bitwig instruments could be built around this.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

For those without limbs, or too lazy to use them, this would allow for the control of Bitwig instruments through control of brainwaves. It would also allow for interesting live experiments where the musician wears the headset creating live biofeedback as a sonic element in a performance.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

There’s a patch for Max/MSP for this: GitHub - amlal/MaxMSP_EEG_Routing: Custom Max MSP package to route data from Neurosky Mindwave Mobile, Emotiv Epoc and Muse headsets into Max. Bitwig could make this kind of future music making more accessible.

There’s a library here to build APIs: https://brainflow.org/

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

No. Only the patch for Max/MSP mentioned above.

Relevant links (optional)

Muse official product page:

pretty sure it’s just a matter of writing a controller script. Moss made a script that can use gamepad as controller for instance. I wouldn’t expect Bitwig to do it themselves anytime soon

Thanks, unfortunately I have no idea where to start to do something like that. Moss’s scripts are great, super useful. I imagine few people have these devices, but maybe someone will create a script for this sometime.