Adding effects to clips directly in the Arranger

Possibility to quickly add an audio effect to one or more selected clips in the Arranger. This would bring a faster and smoother workflow when the user just wants to add a specific effect to a specific clip or a selection (i.e. saturation).

This could be achieved through right-click on the clip and then select an “Add device” option. Selecting this option would open the browser, where the desired device would be selected. This would add the device to the chain, automated to be active for the duration of the clip. Further fine tuning of the effect could be done through the regular workflow in the Device Panel or the track’s automation lanes.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

If a user just wants to add an effect for one clip, they need to add the device to the chain for the whole track and then use an automation lane to activate it only while the clip is playing. These are several clicks in two different windows that could be saved.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig is really good for creative work and getting thing fast. This improvement would contribute to a quicker workflow and to achieving a better arrangement.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Yes, as explained above, but it takes many clicks and manual selections that could be spared.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Cubase - simply clicking on the audio clip, and then you choose the effect you want, and you can also preview.

Relevant links (optional)

See how this works in Cubase:

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: [Draft discussion] Adding effects to clips directly in the Arranger

In Adobe Audition, FX can be added to both Clips and Tracks independently, as can automation. Automating FX (along with volume, pan, etc.) on the Clips themselves, which then move with the Clips (vs Track Automation, typically), is a nice feature. Having to automate an effect applied to an entire track just to influence a single clip through Track automation is not conducive to large track-based (arranger) type projects, especially for while editing.

Not being a music-creator-type person myself, perhaps this is not an issue for most BW users, but for me who uses DAWs in a more traditional track-based, soundtrack post-audio fashion, being able to isolate work on clips is vastly important. Granted, this is a shift in the overall philosophy and workflow of BW, so perhaps the community is not interested, but this gets my vote to give BW more utility to a wider audience than just music/sound creators. :grin:

1 Like