Add presets to modulators pane

The modulators pane should have presets, to allow us to quickly set up our favorite modulators. There could be a presets tab in the modulators dialog.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Setting up modulators can be a repetitive task. If there are some modulators you use regularly, especially if it’s more than one and they require additional settings, an ability to save presets would be a time saver.

I use an Expressive E Touché MIDI controller with all kind of instruments and effects, The controller sends four different CCs, so I need to add four MIDI modulators to each device I want to modulate, and configure each of them for the right CC. Only after this chore is done I can map them to the parameters I want to control. I would love to add one preset instead of four modulators.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

On a practical level, Bitwig has a preset tab in the dialog to add devices. It would be quite logical to see the same kind of preset tab also in the dialog to add a modulator.

On a more general level, this feature would strengthen the modulation capabilities of Bitwig by making them more accessible.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

It is possible to set up a Chain device preset with MIDI modulators and add the devices you want to modulate to the chain. But this adds a level of complexity.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

I don’t think so. Controller scripts do something else, AFAIK:

I don’t want to map my CCs directly to remote controls, as a controller script may do, I want to add modulators that map on parts of the range and push a parameter exactly as far as I want. This kind of fine-tuning needs to be done when mapping the modulators to the parameters individually. But the general setup should be done via a preset.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

I don’t think so

Are there other products that offer this feature?

The companion software for my controller, Expressive E Lié runs VST synths within the software and offers presets with a kind of modulator mappings for those. I want a more general solution within Bitwig for all kind of modulators.

Relevant links (optional)

1 Like

I’d like to vote but I ran out of votes. Sounds like a great idea though.
I think Bitwig may add this anyway when they make mseg since those are the most customizable modulator.

1 Like

Absolutely, pretty essential really seeing that this DAW is so modulation centric.

1 Like

Thank you, @micha, and sorry for the silence. I’m moving this draft to #features.

It didn’t happen this way. Instead, they have implemented a way to save “curves”, not modulator presets. This makes sense in the case of MSEG, since you can use these curves not only in modulators but also directly on an oscillator in Polymer, on the Grid, etc.