Add "Ideas View" to Bitwig

An additional view that gives user a “sketchpad” of sorts to audition different ideas prior to having to commit to the clips view or the arranger. This would give users the ultimate in creative freedom and organization while exploring song ideas free of worry and visual clutter or later confusion. Also, the freedom to experiment and audition different instrument/sound combinations until inspiration strikes. Ideas can then be arranged into different clips, clips then move to the arranger for further refinement.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

There currently is not a convenient, organized way of sketching out ideas without cluttering the clips view or the arrangement view.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig is the ultimate experimental laboratory. This would only enhance the creative exploratory theme of this Digital Audio Workstation while streamlining the workflow and providing added organization.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Currently, the workaround is to audition different ideas in the clips view or arranger and then re-organize them into progressive ideas. However, this requires extra effort and extra time getting things working efficiently.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

I do not believe so.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Not in a fashion that integrates smoothly with the DAW.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Currently, Maschine by Native Instruments has the “Ideas View” and Studio One has a similar function called “Scratch Pads”

Relevant links (optional)

4 Likes

Cool idea. Another idea here is to do what FL studio does. Allow infinite arrangements. So you could make an arrangement versions, or clone an arrangement and try a completely new sequence on version 2. I ended up with many different tracks out of the same project like this.

1 Like

True, I already made such a feature request here:
Multiple Arranger Timelines to be able to switch between or test multiple Arrangements - Features - Bitwish

1 Like