Oversampling

Oversampling feature for Bitwig chains. 2x 4x 8x sample rate options. Both FIR and IIR for entire chain.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Solving the issue of not running the entire session at a high sample rate. Also reducing the oversampling of individual plugins which can create issues if using many of them.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Improves potential for sound quality.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

You can run a plugin called MetaPlugin which does similar stuff but is unstable in many aspects.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Possibly, MetaPlugin exists but is not very usable and is unstable.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Reaper

Relevant links (optional)

Hi, can you explain in the description what is the current problem you have? Why aren’t you getting good quality sound?

Thanks for the question. I will dig up some articles about the disadvantages of oversampling in multiple plugins in the same chain vs running the entire chain at higher sample rates.

Might take a bit of time as people tend to gloss over this and or just run the daw at 96k for a big benefit but at a cost to cpu load.

Keeping the daw at a lower sample rate and oversampling chains that benefit is the main goal.

1 Like

@Kirkwood I have done some cosmetic changes to the title and the description. Does this look ok to you?

Also, note that you can vote on your own requests. :slight_smile:

This has nothing to do with exporting. This is for real-time. … I just hadn’t found the info for how it’s better. My only real option is to post some sound examples.

There are distinct advantages with oversampling an entire chain of plugins.

1. you don’t have to run your daw at a high sample rate to take advantage of higher sample processing.
  2. each plugin doesnt need to handle its own oversampling. resulting in only a single pass of oversampling per bundle.
  3. you can hear in realtime the oversampling processing without waiting to render.

While I agree it would be nice to render above the current sample rate. i don’t recommend it since you won’t be able to hear the effect until you playback the render. which in my experience comes out too different than the “preview” in the realtime playback. (calling it a preview, since in that case the goal is a higher quality output).

Dan waroll goes into depth about the advantages of plugin chain oversampling here which is the feature available in reaper. Oversample Everything! Reaper FX and FX Chain Oversampling - YouTube

1 Like