Option to turn off oversampling in the grid

The grid has 4x oversampling which eats up so much CPU. Being able to turn it down to 2x and to turn it off would save alot of cpu.

Doing a test on a Macbook Air, the cpu could handle only 14 instances of the grid using the basic shapes wavetable at 16 voices, playing a 3 note chord, with no effects at all.

The same thing on serum (16 voices, no effects, 3 note chord) could handle almost 100 tracks.

This makes the grid unusable at times as it just uses so much CPU.

The other issue is that oversampling is not always good. It’d be nice to be able to have the option to choose when we want to use it.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Would allow the grid to be more CPU friendly.
Would allow us to have options to not deal with the negative effects of oversampling when we want to avoid them.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Better performance in in a wider range of computers.

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Many synths and plugins over an option to turn oversampling on and off. Serum is one example.

Relevant links (optional)

2 Likes

How timely…

@Oleg how do you disable oversampling in the Grid?

Currently in grid, there is no way to turn off oversampling. This is our feature request.

1 Like

Ok, sorry, from your comment on the other discussion I had understood that there was a way to disable oversampling. Understood, thank you.

1 Like

And moved to #features.

1 Like

This!
When I run my granular patch with like 60 voices simultaneously the Grid easily eats up to 60-70% of my CPU which is the quite powerful i5 12500h. The funny thing is that I don’t use oscilaltors and shapers, only the sampler and a filter and lots of modulators that aren’t oversampled I believe so I don’t even gain anything useful out of oversampling here.

Given that this request is as niche as straightforward (to explain, no idea about the implementation) I hope all of you are requesting it directly to Bitwig support.

1 Like