Make all sampler parameters mapable to a controller

Sampling is a manual process that should be done intuitively. Working with a controller, the bitwig sampler should be able to be treated as a hardware sampler. Therefore : make it possible to access for hardware-encorders and buttons the following parameters:

Sample and Loop - Start / End-positions.
Loop-Type and Crossfade - Options
Reverse-Play
Keytrack, Root, Gain

Especially Important : Sample-View-Position and Zoom-Factor

Also Usefull : Browse Sample / Create new Multisample

There is a detail for the positional-parameters : In which detail-level/grain-size should they work, when an encoder knob is turned ?

Maybe that might be achievable by making their Step-Ratio work in relation to the Zoom-factor of the Sample-View (as it is done by MPC and Maschine).

By the way, yes, it is possible to access the various Offsets. But that’s only useful once you have set-up the sample with the FINE-GRAINED Start-End-Parameters.

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

Making the sampler and sampling process-more intuitively and display independent.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

Bitwig has a Sampler, it should be made use of as good as possible

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

No

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

No

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

No

Are there other products that offer this feature?

MPC, Maschine.

3 Likes

I would like to have this feature.

@Frankie sorry for the silence. I have made some cosmetic edits to the description. I will move this draft to #features in a few days unless anyone has any objection.

okay, thanks!

1 Like

There has to be other sampling vsts with these features… but I too would like those within the Bitwig Sampler

Definitely, even just mappable sample start and end points would mean that the drum machine can be used properly with a Driven by Moss script.

@Tristan_McDonald Welcome to Bitwish! You can add your vote to this request. Just click the box with the number of votes at the too. Everyone gets 10 votes.

1 Like

It is possible to map the sample start, loop length, and position of the loop. Are you missing something else for your setup?

Thanks very much @icaria36! To be specific, I can see that the play offset is mappable, and the loop offset and loop length are, but “play start” and “play end” (the yellow sliders/input fields) are not. I’m using the drum machine’s samplers in one-shot mode, so I’d like to use a controller to set the sample playback start and end points, so that I don’t have to use the mouse for that. I chatted to Jurgen who makes the Driven by Moss scripts (I use an Akai APC40 mkII) and he said that this being not mappable/modulateable is an unfortunate current limitation of Bitwig.

1 Like