[Draft discussion] Theme / skin support

I’m copying my post from the bitwig KVR forum.

I’m not a mod but this isn’t good. Unlike KVR, here we tends to stick to specific topic as much as possible.

I agree with with you in many parts (particulary responsiveness) as I came from FL Studio too (with Live in the middle)

For some part, I’m sure you will be get used too. However, I could never get used to some parts so I keep ranting about them here and there. Once you go through your adapting process, you’ll definitely have your own group of ideas that are specific and blend well into Bitwig. Sharing them would be much appreciated.

And one reminder: FL doesn’t have theme support either. Technically it still has one but now it’s very limited.

1 Like

Yes, this is correct. I have addressed the comment with its multiple parts because it was the first post of a new user and this is a draft discussion that will be archived when this request moves to #features.

1 Like

It’s just like brightness and contrast settings on monitors. No way it can achieve true dark mode.

I actually like light backgrounds in detail editor and arranger but seems like many people want them to be dark too.

Back to the topic, I think, at current stage, .theme file support would be enough for most people. We can have something like theme editor later on. Something more customizable like Reaper, might not go well with Bitwig’s streamlined look and feel

• Proper .theme file support.
  • Preference for choosing theme.
1 Like

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time. I’ll make sure to keep KVR posts for KVR and bitwish posts for bitwish here on.

1. Tiring colors: Concerning the colors, put simply a dark theme would solve that. I use dark themes pretty much on every device I use. Clearly it’s a popular visual theme even non DAW users switch their mobile apps to dark.

2. Midtones/black level: They made things slightly better only.

3 and 4. Midi notes not sticking/Clips look: I think either making the whole UI flat or making the MIDI notes pop out a little bit (3D, kind of like FL) would cut it. That can happen for both midi notes and clips in general. The UI now has a cartoonish feel at least when it comes to midi notes and clips in general.

1. UI Flat or 3D: I agree it’s subjective but I personally don’t feel the UI and theme ties together very well. Over 70-80 hours in BW maybe more and I’m not connecting much to the UI. I could get used to it maybe)

2. Transparent clips: I’ll look at the link you shared thank you

3. Delay in the UI: it’s definitely there. In my KVR post a lot of users felt the same. Especially compared to a super smooth UI in FL. Protools is super fluid too but that’s a diff story. Believe me, compare it to FL and you’ll notice the lag in BW. Some actions happen on mouse release not on mouse click. Playing a sample from the browser seems to have at least .5 sec delay, faders respond less quickly than in FL. I understand it’s maybe a preference but moving from a more fluid DAW, the brain won’t like it. Why is there an unnecessary lag? It doesn’t understand :stuck_out_tongue:

The rest are probably subjective and a separate discussion.

Thanks again
Dany

1 Like

I have made changes to the description. Please review.

I have removed this table:

A table copied from this Reddit post (which may or may not be obsolete):

If you want to sleuth around yourself, here’s some of what I’ve found while going through the default.theme file:

object_id section object name desc
848 timeline_styles Content Timeline definition for content timeline object. I believe this is the object that describes the arranger timeline and its characteristics.
855 timeline_styles Header Timeline Similar to the above, but the header.
863 value_event_timeline_styles Content Timeline Similar to the above, but I believe this is the note editor.
870 value_event_timeline_styles Header Timeline Header for note editor.
8 color_styles Panel body This is a color referenced by timeline_styles and value_event_timeline_styles objects
160 color_styles Top Level Timeline Background Background color object referenced in arranger timeline object 848. I think this is the main color to tweak, but changing the values seems to do nothing.
161 color_styles Dark Timeline Background Color referenced in 800-range objects above
162 color_styles Light Timeline Background “”
163 color_styles Irrelevant Timeline Background “”
165 color_styles Timeline Background Pattern “”
184 color_styles Loop Region Background “”
185 color_styles Top Level Timeline Header Background “”
186 color_styles Dark Timeline Header Background “”
187 color_styles Light Timeline Header Background “”