[Draft discussion] Options to trigger clips in the Clip Launcher

We can covert this topic into a feature request in #drafts. This way it will enter the Wishlist, and you and other people will be able to vote for it,.

1 Like

Ok! What should I do exactly?

1 Like

I have moved the topic to #drafts and I have added the template that all feature requests use. You can edit the description now.

Ok! Here we are!

@Walter_Pintus Do you want to write the description?

Hello! I added a tag.
What else I can do?

1 Like

Writing the description, if possible. You have the template already there, with each section. The idea is that a Bitwig user has enough information to vote, and a Bitwig developer has enough information to understand what is being requested and why it is important.

Can I also add more next actions to this? or is it better to just isolate this specific set of options as separate FR?

1 Like

If your options fit with the ones proposed by @Walter_Pintus , then maybe it is better to have them in one place. What do you have in mind?

The suggestions by @Walter_Pintus and @x.iso seem to belong to the same type of improvements. There are several, each of them relatively simple, and probably it makes more sense to list them in an organized way in the description.

Sorry, busy times. I’ll work on this tomorrow.

It would be great if someone could volunteer a screenshot i.e. showing one of the modes in Ableton.

1 Like

Hi! Yes, I’ll do it as soon as possible!

1 Like

Thank you, we can link to Launching Clips — Ableton Reference Manual Version 11 | Ableton in the description. I have added a video explaining how the different modes work in Ableton Live.

If I’m reading this correctly… A fundamental difference between these Live’s modes and Bitwig’s is that Live’s depend on external triggers: mouse clicks, computer keyboard actions or MIDI notes. Bitwig modes are set in advance and don’t react to any manual input. Just saying. In Bitwig, if the transport is playing, is there a risk that pressing keys for these launch modes would trigger unintended events i.e. because of shortcuts?

This one is more in line with the current Bitwig Clip Launcher. Although it’s something different, it makes me wonder how would Operators for clips look like. :slight_smile:

About Clip launch options: Bitwig too behave in this way, clips can be launched by midi, keystrokes or mouse clicks

Yes, of course, users can click play and the clip with play. What I mean is that (unless I’m missing something) the current Bitwig launch modes don’t react to mouse clicks, they are not “trigger modes”. They are “continuation modes”. The Ableton Live modes you mention are all about what to do when the user clicks play on a clip. The Bitwig modes are all about where to go after the current clip has played. @x.iso’s request is also about where to go next.

If the above is correct, then we could rename this request “Trigger clip launch options” and focus on these ones. Then a different request for improving randomization options in the clip launcher (some randomization exists, this request is about more precise options).

yeah, I think it’s fair to get these as separate FRs. of course it’s convenient to vote for both at once, but for some people one is more important than other.

2 Likes

I have updated the description based on the discussion. If nobody has any objections, I will promote this request to #features in a couple of days.