[draft discussion] A modulator that loads Grid patches

For now, this is just about simplifying the process of making custom modulators in The Grid. My hope is that if we begin with simply allowing grid patches to be loaded as modulators, it could eventually develop into something where we could design and share custom modulators.

A request for saving custom modulators sound interesting too but right now with the current modulators, what custom modulator would you save?

I have used the Grid for making many different modulators. I have a few that I have uploaded videos about on my youtube channel.

The first is an 8 channel 16 step parameter locking sequencer, which was influenced by a Eurorack modulae, called the Malekko Voltage block:

The second is an x/y sequencer. Even though it is a sequencer, it is sent to a modulation source, so I think of it like a modulator:

The third is a step sequenced LFO. It allows different lfo shapes and rates per step:

These are just a few examples, but they are the ones I have put online.

There is a ton you can do already for custom modulators. As the Grid develops more, it will open more possibilities as well. Especially if they add deeper programming, like suggested on this thread: A Pure Data Grid block - #5 by ddd

Other types of modulators I would love to see would be modulators based off geometric shapes , like the “figure modulator” in UVI Shade, or weird math based modulators, like lorenz attractors.

I’m probably rambling on, but there are many types of modulators that people will think up, so I think having a modular way to build, save, and share those modulators would be cool, and would fit in with Bitwig’s unique feature sets.

1 Like