Discussion about Writing a good feature request

@chalkwalk do you think your points have been addressed or is there anything that we have overlooked? Other ideas? I’m very thankful for your thoughtful feedback!

Yes, I agree. I have been thinking about opening a new topic to discuss other things we could offer here complementing the community wishlist. Bitwish sits on top of a very powerful platform (Discourse) and there are many community features not covered by other Bitwig community channels.

A few weeks later… I’d say Writing a good feature request is doing a good service. However, there are two points that we keep seeing in new requests, and perhaps it would be good to stress them with a notice at the top, for those who won’t read the entire text:

• Many drafts are written in first person. The authors make them “theirs” in various ways. Referring to “users” or even “you” is much better, and personal preferences or other personal details are not really interesting unless they can be made generic to many.
  • Very few explain the problem in the section titled “What problem(s) would this feature resolve?”. Most keep explaining how great the feature requested would be. Specifying the problem a feature request is very useful, even crucial.

What do you think?

I think you could probably reiterate that things should be written in the third person. It’s not necessarily inherently harmful to write in the first person, but consistency helps tremendously, and it encourages considering the points from the perspective of others.

As for solving a problem, I guess a lot of feature requests aren’t being considered from a problem solving perspective. They are either “random thoughts” or replicas of things seen in other DAWs; this is presumably driven by a desire to retain an existing workflow wholesale.

Perhaps we can describe more clearly how to frame a feature request? In particular to encourage participants to think clearly about what problem is caused by the lack of the feature (beyond: without feature X I don’t have feature X which is important to me), and specifically how that feature effectively solves the problem in question.

1 Like

Perhaps there could also be a couple of reminders at the top of the template which would be removed when the request is moved to #features