Chord recognition

It would be great if Bitwig added a chord recognition like Logic or Studio One have.

Could be a device so that it works on the current track, or maybe display it somewhere else when considering all the tracks where the playhead is.

Studio One for example has a chord track that tells you all the chords in a track. It even analyzes audio tracks.

Logic displays the MIDI chord being played in the transport:

What problem(s) would this feature resolve?

It would help with music composition.

How does this feature fit in Bitwig as a product?

It would make Bitwig more attractive for musicians or people interested in music (vs people interested in sound design).

Is there already an alternative way to achieve this on Bitwig?

Not AFAIK.

Could it be implemented using Bitwig components or APIs, without Bitwig team’s support?

Not AFAIK.

Could it be provided by a VST or something else reasonably integrated with Bitwig?

Not AFAIK.

Are there other products that offer this feature?

Yes, see the images I posted above.

1 Like

Do you mean recognize a chord in a note clip or an audio clip?

If you mean note clips, this is covered here:

If you mean audio clips, it is covered here:

1 Like

I mean in more general way, as to help composition, not so much inside a clip itself.

Do you mean that when you press some keys in the keyboard, Bitwig tells you what chord is that, in real-time?

That is something that Logic does, yes. I imagine it does more than that these days though. I haven’t used Logic in years.

Studio One does a lot more than that. See this video for more details:

This exact video is linked from the description at Introduce chords as musical units. This is why I’m trying to clarify what are you requesting that is not covered already in this other feature request.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.